How to cool tanks

Chiclid addict

As far as I know the only options that don't need constant attention are

1. Fans: blow a fan over the top and the evaporation cools the water.  you can get a few degrees this way.  A friend of mine gets away with a couple computer fans blowing during the Seattle summers.
  2. A water chiller: basically an AC unit for your tank. 

after that I've heard of stuff like adding ice, or cycling frozen water bottles too and from the freezer.  These options are a bit less energy efficient than a water chiller but don't require investment.

A fan is definitely probably the most cost effective and as far a labor wise middle of the road. Ice can work also but requires a lot more labor as far as checking the tank and replenishing ice or water bottle. With the water bottle you wouldn't want to fully submerge it so you'd have to figure out a way to mount it so only say the bottom inch or say is in the water. Then yes you have the most expensive, but the least labor intensive along with the most consistent water temp a aquarium chiller. chillers are pricey, but can usually be found used regularly for about half of retail. I usually see some for about $100 here and there. My other suggestion join a axolotl forum i'm sure people have come up with some unique ways to keep these guys cool.

came across another little trick doing a quick google search. If using a canister filter you would buy a styrofoam cooler and place the filter in it and place frozen water bottles or ice packs around it and it would cool the water in the filter and it would last hours.

• Like 1

Here’s a few ideas other than what has been mentioned:  Some people place the Axolotl tank near an air conditioning unit.  I have my tank placed near the floor with a grid top so I can put fans on top.  Don’t run filter with an internal motor or use hot lights. Some people do frequent partial cold water changes during hot weather.  Some have a drip system that is constantly exchanging in cold water.

• Like 1

Oh and King of DIY has videos about how to make a chiller out of a mini fridge.  The only thing is you wouldn’t want to have the fridge next to the tank because they give off heat (and they are bulky/noisy).  I contemplated putting it in my basement and drilling a hole in the floor for the hoses (input and outflow).  I was going to combine this idea with a drip system.  But I want to see how the fans and partial water changes will suffice this summer.  Last year the ladies were in my basement all summer in individual containers as they were growing back their legs (I rescued them from an overpopulated situation.)

If you have a basement, they tend to stay pretty cool in the summer months. Moving the tank down there and setting it on the floor, should keep it quite cool.  Another alternative is once you get a few feet deep into the ground temperatures tend to drop into the 50s and 60s. You could run a loop of tubing out a window and down into the ground and circulate the tank water through that loop using a pump to cool the tank. It would be a bit of a pain to set up initially, but would be a cheap and effective option.

7 hours ago, MartyO said:

came across another little trick doing a quick google search. If using a canister filter you would buy a styrofoam cooler and place the filter in it and place frozen water bottles or ice packs around it and it would cool the water in the filter and it would last hours.

Could I build a sump out of a regular ice chest and put in frozen water bottles of ice cubes

Edited by Angelfishlover

1 hour ago, Angelfishlover said:

Could I build a sump out of a regular ice chest and put in frozen water bottles of ice cubes

Riffing of that idea you could put a small submersion pump in your tank and run a loop or 10 or 100 loops, of tubing through the ice chest.  As long as there is ice the chest water will be roughly constant and you can then adjust the heat exchange rate by adding or removing tubing submersed in the icewater.

Also it occurred to me you probably would want to us a sponge filter or external motor HOB to externalize the heat from filtration rather than having the motor's heat go directly into your tank.  IDK your setup but for me 5 watts is about 1 degree temperature rise.

• Like 1

And it would just have to be used when the temps are driving the water temperature too high.  When fans and location fail to do enough.  This is the most difficult part of Axolotl keeping.  (Or any cool water fish too, I suppose.)

If I had a finished basement it would be easy.  But who wants to keep them where you can’t see them?

16 minutes ago, Lifeisgood said:

And it would just have to be used when the temps are driving the water temperature too high.  When fans and location fail to do enough.  This is the most difficult part of Axolotl keeping.  (Or any cool water fish too, I suppose.)

If I had a finished basement it would be easy.  But who wants to keep them where you can’t see them?

I am a cold air human so I'd just move to my basement 😅

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Lifeisgood said:

That’s a great idea!  I bet that could be done.

I will probably save this idea for when I build the 55 I have planed as I don’t feel like building a nano sump if that’s even possible lol 😂 

Edited by Angelfishlover

Inkbird has temperature controllers that have low-temp and high-temp outlet plugs and settings, so that you could hook a heater to one plug and set the low temp limit, and fans or circulating pump system to the other outlet and set the high temp limit, and it will control your heating/cooling automatically. They are relatively inexpensive as well, and serve as a nice fail safe in case of a heater failure, to keep your tank from cooking.