Unique stocking ideas for 60 gallon tank

mgudyka

Well, you guys. I got the bug. Multiple tank syndrome. Thankfully the ailment has not manifested into another physical tank (yet) but I would be lying if I said I wasn't already planning another tank. 

I am really interested in slightly more unusual fish. 

I was thinking rope fish, hillstream loaches, and siamese algae eaters. I am not trying to go super tiny for fear the rope fish would eat them. 

Maybe some celebes halfbeak fish with some other interesting species? 

I would love suggestions! Thank you all 

• Like 1

I have read that ropefish like companion ropefish.  There are some YouTubers that keep them.  They might have specific stocking ideas for you.

Some have compared their care to that of smaller spiny eels, which I have a half-banded eel.   They can go with fish that are too big or too fast to fit in their mouths and won’t out compete them for food (being slower eaters) or pick on them.  

I have looked into ropefish because some suggested they could live well with a spiny eel.  Both will learn quickly to take food from your hand or tweezers—which is fun.  I have a small worm farm for red wiggler worms that I feed her the smaller worms. She starts looking up as soon as I come close to the tank.😊

AC998E54-775A-42D6-9276-18A80B984B8C.jpeg

275B6508-DB81-4C63-A8DC-FE694670EAAF.jpeg

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Lifeisgood said:

I have read that ropefish like companion ropefish.  There are some YouTubers that keep them.  They might have specific stocking ideas for you.

Some have compared their care to that of smaller spiny eels, which I have a half-banded eel.   They can go with fish that are too big or too fast to fit in their mouths and won’t out compete them for food (being slower eaters) or pick on them.  

I have looked into ropefish because some suggested they could live well with a spiny eel.  Both will learn quickly to take food from your hand or tweezers—which is fun.  I have a small worm farm for red wiggler worms that I feed her the smaller worms. She starts looking up as soon as I come close to the tank.😊

AC998E54-775A-42D6-9276-18A80B984B8C.jpeg

275B6508-DB81-4C63-A8DC-FE694670EAAF.jpeg

This eel is too cute. Oh my god. Something about her tells me that she is probably not super beginner friendly, huh? She lives in freshwater?? Sorry I am amazed by the serious cuteness of this eel 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mgudyka said:

This eel is too cute. Oh my god. Something about her tells me that she is probably not super beginner friendly, huh? She lives in freshwater?? Sorry I am amazed by the serious cuteness of this eel 

They actually are quite easy to take care of.  Tropical temperatures.  They prefer a sandy substrate because they do like to burrow sometimes.  You need a tight fitting lid (as you would with a ropefish). Mine doesn’t burrow much at all because I give her lots of places to hide when she want to retire.  She is quite active-even in the daytime though the internet says they are nocturnal.

The trickiest part is choosing tank mates because they are slower eaters as mentioned above.  But they do not pester other fish.  They are more likely to be pestered by others.  I would think they would be fine with Hillstream loaches.  I have mine with Panda Garra and a betta.  I had to remove my guppies because they kept taking her food.

In the past I had a peacock eel with angel fish and it seemed to work out pretty well.

There are a few different varieties of spiny eels.  The Latin name of the smaller varieties begin with Macronathus.  Mine is macronathus circumcinctus (Half-banded eel).  You will see this one and macronathus siamensis (Peacock eel) most frequently.  There are LARGER ones too.   But the first Latin name is different. That would be the fire eel or tire track eel. So make sure you are careful about that.

I really enjoy keeping her.  They do stock them regularly at some larger Petsmarts (they are sold as Peacock eels even though mine was a Half banded) if you can’t get them at a LFS.  They were having trouble getting them for me. 

I have a minute video of the tank that I keep her in if you want to see some behavior.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Lifeisgood said:

They actually are quite easy to take care of.  Tropical temperatures.  They prefer a sandy substrate because they do like to burrow sometimes.  You need a tight fitting lid (as you would with a ropefish). Mine doesn’t burrow much at all because I give her lots of places to hide when she want to retire.  She is quite active-even in the daytime though the internet says they are nocturnal.

The trickiest part is choosing tank mates because they are slower eaters as mentioned above.  But they do not pester other fish.  They are more likely to be pestered by others.  I would think they would be fine with Hillstream loaches.  I have mine with Panda Garra and a betta.  I had to remove my guppies because they kept taking her food.

In the past I had a peacock eel with angel fish and it seemed to work out pretty well.

There are a few different varieties of spiny eels.  The Latin name of the smaller varieties begin with Macronathus.  Mine is macronathus circumcinctus (Half-banded eel).  You will see this one and macronathus siamensis (Peacock eel) most frequently.  There are LARGER ones too.   But the first Latin name is different. That would be the fire eel or tire track eel. So make sure you are careful about that.

I really enjoy keeping her.  They do stock them regularly at some larger Petsmarts (they are sold as Peacock eels even though mine was a Half banded) if you can’t get them at a LFS.  They were having trouble getting them for me. 

I have a minute video of the tank that I keep her in if you want to see some behavior.

Would I have to also cover the intake and output for my filter like I would a rope fish so one wouldn't slither into it out of curiosity?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mgudyka said:

Would I have to also cover the intake and output for my filter like I would a rope fish so one wouldn't slither into it out of curiosity?

Yes for sure!  I am just using a sponge filter for this tank right now.  But they investigate every hole and tunnel.

• 5 months later...

My 14 yr old is interested in an eel.  We have an 80G tank we are starting... now most eels simply grow too large.. we are looking at a peacock eel.  Would you mind sharing your experience with what you feed them?  Also, I'm trying to find a tank mate that my 10 yr old will enjoy too... so I'm trying to understand what would be good companions, I'd appreciate your thoughts on that.  Lastly, my reading suggests a lot of filtration (up to 10x an hour) - can you share how much filtration you have going?  Also, do you add some salt to make your water a bit brackish?

Thanks so much. 🙂

• Like 1