How to set up 2nd tank (newbie)

Phillip

So I have about 20 guppy babies in a breeder box in my 36 gallon community tank. I’ll be way over stocked if I leave them in there as they grow up.

I plans to buy another tank to put in my daughter’s room with the baby guppies. I’ve had an extra sponge filter in the 36 for about 2 weeks now. 

1.  Can I just put that sponge filter in the new tank, add water and dechlorinate, then add fish? Do I need to add bottle bacteria? Do I need to wait a couple weeks like a normal cycle?

2. I’d like to get a new hob for the 36 and put the one I’m using now in the new tank. How can I do this without crashing the cycle on the 36? I have a sponge filter in there. Will that be enough to keep the cycle while the new hob loads up? (I have 2 sponges in there now because I plan to move one to the new tank)

Here's what I'd do. First set up the new tank fill it then dechlorinate(or fill with water from the parents tank) then transfer 1 sponge filter and the hob. Then add the fry a day or 2 later. 

The sponge and other surfaces in your tank will house more than enough BB to maintain your cycle. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ChefConfit said:

Here's what I'd do. First set up the new tank fill it then dechlorinate(or fill with water from the parents tank) then transfer 1 sponge filter and the hob. Then add the fry a day or 2 later. 

The sponge and other surfaces in your tank will house more than enough BB to maintain your cycle. 

Thanks! Would I be able to start the new hob at the same time? I can’t think of any reason why not, just making sure. 

Just now, ChefConfit said:

Yea you can start it right away. In the new tank you might wat a prefilter sponge so that no fry get sucked in as well. I run them on all my HOBs as my course filtration

Yup good idea. I have a prefilter in the current hob, so it’ll go in the tank with the fry. Have to remember to get one for the new hob. 

42 minutes ago, ChefConfit said:

i agree with this pretty much exactly.

1 hour ago, ChefConfit said:

Haha I'm in the same boat! I want a new display tank, but I'm already working on my summer tub and my daughter has been asking for a betta. 

Summer tub for fish? I’ve been wanting to do that.