False ammonia readings?

Dakotascott71

Semi new here but I have two aquariums going. A 55 and a 10 both finished cycling mid December. 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 30 nitrate. That is until about 2 weeks ago. No symptoms from fish whatsoever(guppies, hillstream loach, panda Cory's, ottos, danios) my ammonia readings have been so high it turns the vial blue. Ph is 8.0. Could my test kit have gone bad? My tap tests 0 ammonia so I don't feel like that's the case. Prime hasn't been introduced in a few days to control the test as much as possible. I tried 4ml of tap and 1 ml of tank water and it still turned blue. And this is from both tanks! Neither tank shows any symptoms no rotting plant material. Any tips or answer by chance? TIA

Having the ammonia kit turn blue is... Strange. I've seen ludicrously high levels of ammonia result in deep green while fooling with NHCL, but never anything close to blue. In your case, I'd probably pick up another ammonia kit and see what results it spits out. With no symptoms from your fish at 8+ ppm ammonia, I'd bank on something being up with your kit OR method.

To be clear, you're using the API liquid test kit, yeah? Not somehow mixing up the nitrite bottle with one of the ammonia bottles?

Api liquid test kit. The "master" kit. Never had a problem before. I never even usually test ammonia but once a month just to make sure everything is fine. I watch for symptoms from fish all the time. They're all fine. I really thought if it was 8ppm my hillstream loach would be the first to let me know 

One time my ammonia test turned blue. Turned out the cap I put on the tube had residual from a pH test. Washed everything super well and the next ammonia test was a lovely yellow. Not suggesting this is happening to you, but it reminded me of my own confuzzlement 🙂 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, skipper said:

One time my ammonia test turned blue. Turned out the cap I put on the tube had residual from a pH test. Washed everything super well and the next ammonia test was a lovely yellow. Not suggesting this is happening to you, but it reminded me of my own confuzzlement 🙂 

Something like this makes the most sense. Some kind of contaminant in the tubes/caps? I just mixed up two tubes of ludicrously concentrated ammonia water (1/32 tbs in 5mL. This amount brought my 20 gallon up to 2ppm.) Trying the ammonia test was super underwhelming. It... doesn't react at all. The water gets a bit cloudy/yellowed but I was expecting a deep green. I'm guessing the concentration is just too high for the kit to provide any result. I even tested some tank water with 0 ammonia just to be sure my reagents were still good.

Think you could post a picture of the result? I'm really curious how this could come about.

Briefly poking around the internet and other folks have had similar results. Had you been dosing Prime regularly for some reason?

Have you tried heavily diluting some tank water in your tap water? Like, 4-5 drops to 4.5mL to see if you can get a more "normal" color? I was inclined to believe there was a problem with the test, but seeing other people report the same color with sky-high ammonia readings makes me lean toward this being an accurate result.

Edited by Schwack

I'd double check the expiration dates for your test kit. Each bottle has its own expiration date printed on them. This still doesn't seem likely based on your tap water testing 0ppm ammonia though. How often do you normally change water and how much? Also how much are you feeding and or fertilizing? I know some fertilizers like seachem flourish have ammonia which is why i stick to easy green

This is super weird! What color are the drops coming out of your test kit bottles? Just in case somehow they got filled with the wrong thing at the factory 😄

Also out of curiosity, what’s the pH of your tap water and your tank water?

Edited by Hobbit
Added a question