Will Billy

So i know pea puffers are quite small, and do fine in a 5 gallon tank, however what is the optimal size tank for a single pea puffer? Like what would make them the most happiest? Is 5 gallon perfect? Or would they rather prefer a 20 gallon? Also can you keep a school of them, or are they territorial like a Betta?

Just now, Will Billy said:

So i know pea puffers are quite small, and do fine in a 5 gallon tank, however what is the optimal size tank for a single pea puffer? Like what would make them the most happiest? Is 5 gallon perfect? Or would they rather prefer a 20 gallon? Also can you keep a school of them, or are they territorial like a Betta?

I think that 1x in a 10- gal is preferable. We’ve kept 2x - pair in a 10 gal before....

They shoal in the wild - I think they’re best kept in a group...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Fish Folk I got my first pea puffer yesterday. He's in a 5 gallon right now. seems to be doing well. Still a bit stressed. Where did you find that syringe to feed them with? Is that something I could purchase on line? 

Any additional advice you could offer me about pea puffers from your personal experience is appreciated. I think I have exhausted the internet, blogs and YouTube at this point.  I see that sometimes he bumps into the side wall when I approach the tank.. is that because I am scaring him? I just want to make sure he is okay. It has been less than 24 hrs so I know he is a bit stressed. My post earlier today has a picture of him in the tank. 

Thank you! 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Sandra the fish rookie said:

I got my first pea puffer yesterday. He's in a 5 gallon right now. seems to be doing well. Still a bit stressed. Where did you find that syringe to feed them with? Is that something I could purchase on line? 

Any additional advice you could offer me about pea puffers from your personal experience is appreciated. I think I have exhausted the internet, blogs and YouTube at this point.  I see that sometimes he bumps into the side wall when I approach the tank.. is that because I am scaring him? I just want to make sure he is okay. It has been less than 24 hrs so I know he is a bit stressed. My post earlier today has a picture of him in the tank. 

Exciting! Pea Puffers, generally, will eat _very small_ snails. They _LOVE_ mosquito larvae, so put out a dark dish with water to collect larvae outside. He'll appreciate lots of plants. Pea Puffers generally require a bit more filtration than normal because they can be messy eaters. 

• Like 1

@Fish Folk I guess that I have wanted one for so long, that I am paying more attention to what he is doing. He stays at the back more but through out the day has ventured up to the middle and top of the tank. He doesn't seem afraid of me going in there to check his water or temp of the water. But I think he is still a bit nervous. I know they can live alone, but want to make sure the environment he has is the best it can be. 

20210331_112710.jpg

20210331_173517.jpg

• Like 1

Looks pretty!! One thing I’ve noticed is that whenever a light (or window, in your case) is behind you when you approach the tank, an instinctive fear overcomes certain fish who feel like any dark object big enough to obscure light is a predator. How does your puffer act when you approach at night, with no back lighting?  

@Fish Folk He seems more curious at night, with the TV on, he seems to be watching more of what is going on, and ventures out and around the tank more.  He is in a pretty central place, so he can get interaction with us when we are done our work day. We have dim lighting in our great room, so there is less shadows for sure. 

The windows are quite large, and they are also tinted, to help with heat and glare. I really try to approach the tank slowly, so not to startle him.. 

I wonder if I have to change the lighting timing? Currently I have it turn on at 1 pm and off at 10 pm but maybe I should have different timing for him? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sandra the fish rookie said:

I wonder if I have to change the lighting timing? Currently I have it turn on at 1 pm and off at 10 pm but maybe I should have different timing for him? 

You’ll figure this out. Sunlight is gently doing its part. Combined with a 9-hr photo period, just watch the plants to see if they’re happy. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought pair of these little fellas (one might be a female) and three oto's that had been in the same take in a local mom & pop for several months. They are in a 10 gallon and more often than not they are always together, and not aggressive towards each other, and they completely ignore the oto's.

Edited by DShelton
misspelling
  • Like 1

Pea puffers are so cool, they move like a reef fish, and constantly hunting. They may kill all your cuc, though, mine wiped out all the amanos and all but 1 snail in my 75g.  The amanos would appear wobbling around on fewer and fewer legs, then finally disappear.   Caught him taking a leg off one in the act.  The mystery snails he would peck at a weak spot in the shell till he had escargot.  I fed him blackworms I raise, and live mosquito larvae.  When I took him to the lfs they said he was the fattest pea puffer they'd ever seen. 

Wanted to share this since it's relevant and helpful. Someone shared this care guide with me a while ago, it contains up to date and accurate information on Pea Puffers. It has information I was completely unaware of beforehand, like I had no idea Pea Puffers were actually shoaling fish! 

https://www.pufferfishenthusiastsworldwide.com/post/c-travancoricus

• Like 2

Indeed true, however if you are space constrained like I am, a single puffer can work in a small tank. Mine is in a six gallon and lives with her cleanup crew consisting of one Amano, two Neocaridina and a Nerite snail. The other snails are snack. They are quite social and love to interact. Heavily planted tanks are a must IMHO. Also, she won't eat anything that is dead.

ACtC-3d-q25OAqESEblaKfC46RxOvELsBf4quWdcilBzO1IxzkwVppfOlhkyZq2pMHSJqzExW7tGrbGGmLBZ13gDJRUZclsMEZpSZ_ViDkmu1JcpBz-XBV9qv5LsKCWEC1lIC-_CpnTOFjBWWp3aQr8tWd_q=w911-h886-no?authuser=0

• Like 1