Maracyn for Cyanobacteria

FishMonger

Curious.  I have a bad/recurring case of Cyano in one tank in particular (which may have also cross-contaminated to our two other  tanks? Unsure there...looking for advice to end this completely in all.  All that being said I also have a question that relates directly to this AQ Coop Blog:  https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/blue-green-alga

Simply the blog states: "To begin treatment, scrub off as much of the blue-green algae as possible and remove it with a siphon. After vacuuming the substrate and refilling the tank, add one full dose of Maracyn (which is 1 packet per 10 gallons of water), and let the aquarium sit for one week before doing another water change. The earlier you treat the outbreak, the easier it is to eradicate. If the blue-green algae is very thick and widespread, you may need to repeat the treatment several times to completely remove the colony."

So on the Maracyn packet, it states to dose for 5 days? Wondering did I read something wrong in the blog or on the Maracyn pack? Or is the direction different in the blog as it writing towards the purpose of killing the Cyano vs. curing fish?

And to provide some extra background info: I did do this about 1.5 years ago.  When I did so, we went on vacation and my brother & nephew maintained the last day or so of the tank meds. Upon return we had lost 1 frog (2 survived). Unsure if that was due to the meds or otherwise. Also upon return the tank appeared to have No signs of Cyno? But maybe something was re-introduced, or other-wise.

A few more details about the tank. I chose the Maracyn route as I understood it is considered generally safe for the African Dwarf Frogs and and the Cyano was all over more or less.  I had initially thought it was just algae and that I needed another snail. 😞 

Also the sand has plants: some low growing Valisneria (it never grows high, maybe due to the cyano?), a few/two? buce plants, and a sand substrate (horrible with the cyano!).  It's a 20L with an Aquaclear 30 filter.  There is also an Volcano with some air pumping through it. 

Currently this tank houses 6 cherry barbs, 2 ADF's, a pagoda snail, 2 horned nerites, and 1  kupa nerite. 

Much appreciate the assistance. 

No you didnt read the blog or packet wrong, but aquarium coops dosing is catered specifically to the cyanobacteria and the packet is for treating an ongoing outbreak of bacterial infections. I would do what aquarium coop recommends and then just keep a close eye on the ADFs throughout the process. 

Also I wanna say about the val, in my experience when I've had val that grew short it was due to lack of nutrients, so it didnt have what it needed to grow nice and tall and healthy, so I'd recommend getting some root tabs and giving it to them so they have the neccessary nutrients to grow, which may help with the cyanobacteria as well

So regarding the sand and the cyano...and a few more detail questions...

I am a bit concerned. My kid loves the sand. Thinks it's Zen. (Not so much for Me!) I am worried that even if I clear off the extra Cyano as much as possible.  I can't get it off the sand without the Maracyn help.  But will it only help the top layer of sand? As in, if some cyano is mixed into the sand, am I doomed for more?  Also do I need to do something with the filter?  sometimes I have seen it hanging near/on the out flow. And/or do I need to change my sponge & and/or bio rings?

On 3/21/2021 at 12:01 PM, FishMonger said:

I can't get it off the sand without the Maracyn help.  But will it only help the top layer of sand? As in, if some cyano is mixed into the sand, am I doomed for more?  Also do I need to do something with the filter?  sometimes I have seen it hanging near/on the out flow. And/or do I need to change my sponge & and/or bio rings?

Still looking for an answer on this quote/questions above? If anyone can help?

21 minutes ago, FishMonger said:

Still looking for an answer on this quote/questions above? If anyone can help?

I don't cyanobacteria ever really goes away in any aquarium, even aquariums with no apparent cyanobacteria as it is one the oldest and most widespread organisms on the planet.

Last time I had some, it went away on its on (at least visibly) and hasn't been back for years. So I don't think it is worth changing sponges, bio-rings, etc.

For me, vigorously growing plants (and other kinds of algae) seem to out-compete the cyanobacteria.

I curious as to what you aquarium looks like. Would you be able to post a photo?

• Like 2

Ok.  Thanks for the additional info Daniel!  Very helpful. 🙂

3 hours ago, Daniel said:

one the oldest and most widespread organisms on the planet

Yes. I had read that back when I was first looking into it.  Crazy.  Photos below.  The last time the tank was "better",  was after I had fully dosed with Maracyn 5 days. I was going on vacation and worried.  The tank was clear when we returned. 🙂  But it all slowly crept back. I was hoping my plants would out compete, but that never happened. I had given some fertilizer at one point, but was worried that was helping the Cyano more and not the plants. I have the lights limited to 6 hours on a timer.  The tank has lost a lot of sand as I have sucked it up - it gets combined with the cyano and comes off in clumps. 😞  These pics are after I cleaned it recently.  Obviously I did not take out the larger items and scrub them yet, or try to scrape off the plants. But I did clear off some extra bad spots on the sand and the volcano.  

My current plan is to do that extra clean-up on those items and then add the Maracyn (as directed by ACO's blog) for a one day dosing. 

IMG_0505.jpg

IMG_0506.jpg

IMG_0508.jpg

IMG_0509.jpg

• Like 1