So my fist round of scarlett temple failed miserably. Fish kept up rooting it and ied find it floating in the tank so I tried putting more of the stems in the substrate. Everything melted and died. That time I didnt have any ferts. This time I have all the easy line and root tabs. How should I go about planting the new stems when they get here to avoid this happening again? Everything is on it's way in the mail now.

20210321_110734.jpg

Edited by Rob Bunker
  • Like 1

Honestly, it's not a beginner plant. It's a higher light and CO2 requiring plant. It wants an aquasoil substrate as well. But to get at your question, just use some planting tweezers and shove it down into the substrate. Make sure it's in a very bright area. Root tabs are not necessary and won't make a difference in success or not. The other variables are more important. It's a slower grower, even in CO2 tanks. 

• 11 months later...
On 3/15/2022 at 5:25 PM, KatTV said:

@Rob Bunkerhow did you make out with these? I tried sand substrate with root tabs but my cories up rooted everything. I just bought more and was thinking of the little pots. 

I was having the same issue with my cories digging up the Easy root tabs. The guys at ACO recommended wrapping the tabs in plant weights and marking the location with pebbles. Works like a charm!  Haven’t had any issues since 

On 3/16/2022 at 3:11 PM, DaveO said:

Scarlet Temple is a tricky one. It is promoted as an easy or medium easy plant, but is not. I have heard you should float your new stems for a couple weeks until the roots are about an inch long before you plant it. But don't ask me, I promptly kill all the Scarlet Temple I get my hands on. Listen to Mmiller2001 on this one.

Scarlett temple isn't as hard as it's thought to be. The hardest part is the conversion, also i think if people sourced it from businesses closer to them (similar waters) they would have an easier time with it. If my dumb butt can do it and make it look easy, anyone can! I'm also not sure why this forum insists on rotating my pictures......

20220316_152052.jpg

Edited by JoeQ
Word selection fix
  • Love 2

On 3/16/2022 at 2:23 PM, JoeQ said:

Scarlett temple isn't as hard as it's thought to be. The hardest part is the conversion, also i think if people sourced it from businesses closer to them (similar waters) they would have an easier time with it. If my dumb butt can do it and make it look easy, anyone can! I'm also not sure why this forum insists on rotating my pictures......

20220316_152052.jpg

I think it would be more helpful to folks if you described your growing condition (water parameters, substrate, co2, temp, ...)....

On 3/16/2022 at 7:12 PM, anewbie said:

I think it would be more helpful to folks if you described your growing condition (water parameters, substrate, co2, temp, ...)....

All my water paramater are based on the Aquarium Coop strips. For conversion to degrees use the ppm/17.9 formula, here we go. 

Tank is a non co2, 36g bowfront and the light is about 18" to substrate, my substrate is eco complete with Mexican potting clay as a root available iron source, & seachem root tabs, especially when first planting!

My light is a fluval 3.0, running Bentleys Day sim. When plants are short I run the light at 35% then buffer it up as the plants grow so that their lower leaves dont fall off. This light runs about 14 hours a day. 1 hour sun up, 2 hours sun down (i think) 1

As for water, my temp is 75~76 degrees

No3 10~15

No2 0

Gh about 150

Kh 80+/-

Ph 7.2 ~ 7.6

Imo like I said, if you can buy AR (Scarlett Temple) converted, do that itll be easiest. Also plant it in the brightest area in your tank, it loves light. Take notice to how the plant responds (or isn't) responding to your light. If its not opening and closing in sync to your light you might have to much or too little, AR is really simple, don't be intimadated. You got this 👊

Edited by JoeQ
Added light time
  • Like 1

I haven’t unlocked all of the secrets of scarlet temple but for me it did better with more light. It was doing ok in my aquarium with a Nicrew light, capped aquasoil and Easy Green. The top parts, close to the light flourished and the bases struggled. I thought it would be a good idea to put it in a outside guppy tub, but it didn’t like that at all. 
I think @Guppysnailhad a great idea to plant it in a bubble very close to the light

On 3/16/2022 at 8:03 PM, Patrick_G said:

I haven’t unlocked all of the secrets of scarlet temple but for me it did better with more light. It was doing ok in my aquarium with a Nicrew light, capped aquasoil and Easy Green. The top parts, close to the light flourished and the bases struggled. I thought it would be a good idea to put it in a outside guppy tub, but it didn’t like that at all. 
I think @Guppysnailhad a great idea to plant it in a bubble very close to the light. 

It did really good right below the surface under my light. I have cheap hygger lights not the fancy hygger ones. When I lowered it to its final destination it fell apart on my. This was before I used pots to elevate it though. 

• Like 1

I've got mine growing (with algae) with co2 injection (lowish) and a cheap nicrew light set on one of the lower intensities.  the stems melted on me at first.  they stopped melting when I let it float until there were roots at the nodes. 

I think the secret is to not plant it until you see roots.  the secret may also be CO2 but my light is pretty low so I'm not sure it would out pace "natural" co2 assuming your ph was below 7.5-8ish.

I've got inert gravel from a big box store and easy green.

Edited by CT_

On 3/16/2022 at 11:12 PM, Guppysnail said:

It did really good right below the surface under my light. I have cheap hygger lights not the fancy hygger ones. When I lowered it to its final destination it fell apart on my. This was before I used pots to elevate it though. 

I love using pots, first they elevate the plant closer to the light and it also gives you the opportunity to move the plant into a better growing spot without disturbing the roots.  Another thing with AR is that they are extremely finicky. Especially when first recieved because they are going through massive changes. It's best to top the original plant when you see substantial new growth, and plant that in your substrate which will handle being moved much better. It's also advised to leave the original trimmed stem as it'll grow more shoots! I'll try to grab a picture later of an original stem which I absolutely butchered with new growth! 

Edited by JoeQ
Added word
  • Like 1