So I'll confess to somewhat of an impulse buy - a 5 gallon aquarium that was posted locally. I always wanted to do a nano planted shrimp tank so this was my opportunity. I seized it!

I had some Fluval stratum leftover from mixing it with eco-complete in the 33 gallon, so I decided to go ahead and use that. It's not quiiiiite as much as I would like but I'm hoping with the displacement of the hardscape it'll end up perfect. I am a little concern about possibly creating an algae nightmare but with it being a planted shrimp tank, I think it'll be ok. They'll be well fed and the Fluval with help lower my naturally higher pH well water. I could add about 4 otos, especially if algae becomes a real problem, right?

Anyway, tomorrow I will be picking up some rocks and driftwood. I ordered some fancy botanicals from a LFS that were on sale - coco-curls, almond leaves, pods and banana stem. I'll transfer my anubias on cholla to the shrimp tank when it's set up. 

I'm still undecided about other plants. This tank/light set up has approximately 33-34 par at the bottom so be limited to low-medium plants. I'm not planning to do COinjection. Scarlet temple and wisteria are doing well in my 33 so may try to propagate some of the former for that pop of reddish colour and wisteria help compete with algae. I know shrimp love moss so I'll try to find and incorporate that too. Planning to add Frogbit to provide some coverage.

TLDR: I got plans for this nano tank!

Here is photo from day 1. I'll update as I add!

nano 5 gal day 1.jpg

Edited by Kalita
  • Like 4

Aquascaping is far from complete, however one of my new red cherry shrimps already molted. Hoping to get a colony going. I will add more plants as they become available (I will plant some trimmings from the ones in the 33 gal). For now, there is plenty of biofilm for them to feed one. I also have Shrimp Cuisine (which apparently my cat also loves 😒) but haven't put much in with the abundance of film. 

Anyway, here are some shots of the newly-molted shrimp. 

164370813_207647897826564_1647371861663284902_n.jpg

164728593_1228560334230759_2733769869133430872_n.jpg

164740690_134812618577538_213550624559603368_n.jpg

165132495_716092685735640_6295942228818710530_n.jpg

165164484_496461155069865_1983272453499230441_n.jpg

• Like 1

@James B @Cory reviewed the tank on YouTube. Go to 5:19 to check out his review of the filtration system. I did my own "hot-rodding" by placing an Aquaclear sponge filter pad from my cycled 33 gal on the inside of the intake instead of the filter cartridge TopFin recommends for this tank. It seems to be working well so far and isn't impeding water flow like the cartridge did in the video. 

Just discovered @Irene did a video on the same tank. I pretty much did the same thing without realizing it - great minds!

Edited by Kalita
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Betsy said:

I love the warm lighting in this tank!!  It really sets off the driftwood and the foliage! 😍

Thank you! That's the "dawn" setting on the light. It's my favourite too, although I do some more white light mid day.

I am thinking about doing a moss wall on the right to hide the ugly algae covered gray panel. I think the shrimp would love it and it'd be more visually appealing. 

Right now I only have 3 RCS in there. I had ordered more Fire Reds but they were out of stock 😞 There are some local breeders around so I will get some soon. I plan on breeding them. 

There's also 5 guppy fry renting some space while they grow out a bit. I will add them back to their usual 33 gal once they get to size. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...