I got some fish!

mgudyka

After months of thinking about it and weeks of planning, testing water, learning, this gal finally got some fish!!

B the time we got to the store, I was still unsure which gourami I would bring home. My husband and I watched the varieties of gourami they had and decided on the least shy kind of the group. I brought home two sunrise gourami (but they are sort of bronze in color, not really red like others at the store), five red phantom tetras, and three otocinclus. The gourami were very interested in us and it appears our decision has paid off. I was going to also get kuhli loaches but the store was out of stock (and I am a little peeved about it because the reason we decided to go to this specific store was because they had all four species I wanted).

The lady at the store warned me that the fish would probably be in hiding for like a week. I understand why. The red phantoms and gourami stayed in a corner of the tank until I put a prefilter sponge over the filter output (to slow the flow), and immediately after that, they all came out of hiding and have not slowed down since! There are definitely plenty of places to hide if they wanted to but it appears they have chosen curiosity instead. My nerite snails do not seem to mind the new tank mates.

The only "troubles" I have had with anything fishkeeping related since I brought them home has been my fat cat discovering the fish food containers (some of which have the same material packaging as cat treats) and has been trying to break into them all night. I will be buying a container with a top so she can't eat my fish food haha. 

I already have a baaad case of MTS. The petsmarts in my area are having a sale on a 60g tank and stand set. So now I am planning for that new tank 😉

Enjoy the pictures I have taken so far! These guys do not stop for a second, exploring every inch of the tank, so I haven't been able to get great pictures. Overall I am excited to start this journey. I'd like to thank everyone on this forum that has helped me along the way!

20210319_193746.jpg

20210319_195213.jpg

20210319_195118.jpg

20210319_195119.jpg

20210319_194243.jpg

• Like 6

What the gouramis might be are the Thick-Lipped Gourami (Colisa labiosa). They are very closely related to the honey gourami, but they are slightly bigger and in the wild have a similar pattern to wild dwarf gouramis. In the aquarium trade, you will find the "Sunset Honey Gourami" which is really the Thick-Lipped Gourami. This is why they acted and look differently than the other honey gouramis. I think that they get a good bright red-orange when they are older, rather than golden like the normal honey gourami. I don't think care is too much different, so it shouldn't cause any troubles. Anyway, nice tank!

Just now, CorydorasEthan said:

What the gouramis might be are the Thick-Lipped Gourami (Colisa labiosa). They are very closely related to the honey gourami, but they are slightly bigger and in the wild have a similar pattern to wild dwarf gouramis. In the aquarium trade, you will find the "Sunset Honey Gourami" which is really the Thick-Lipped Gourami. This is why they acted and look differently than the other honey gouramis. I think that they get a good bright red-orange when they are older, rather than golden like the normal honey gourami. I don't think care is too much different, so it shouldn't cause any troubles. Anyway, nice tank!

Oh! That is good to know! I was wondering why they were so much more outgoing than any other the others they had there but i just chalked it up to luck. I'm glad I bought them from this store since none of the other had these kinds. Thank you!!

• Like 1