Quarantine - Adjusted for Fry?

Saltinthedesert

Hi everyone, would appreciate insight on my situation.

I’ve had a recent Ick explosion in my 29G shrimp tank. It has a few Norman lampeyes, Chili’s, CPDs, a ton of guppy fry and a couple Kubatais.  

I got a 10G and installed the heater/sponge filter and have been dosing Para Guard to work as a quarantine tank with the Chili’s and guppy/endler fry...I wanted to test it out on the least expensive fish first.

I’ve lost quite a few Chili’s and fry and they don’t appear to be clearing up of the white spots. It’s not getting worse, but not better.

After reading all of the instructions in the recent blog post about how to do a proper quarantine tank, I removed the gravel and was able to get two of the three recommended medicines (can’t find Paracleanse). 

My question is in regards to the part of the instructions that says to NOT feed the fish for a week after dosing. With smaller fish like Chili’s and endler fry this seems like it will starve them. True or false?

B69D7CEE-509A-4584-8338-E700FD8CE0AF.jpeg

Great question!  I think with fry you have to feed--but maybe feed sparingly.  I just ran swordfish fry (about 5-8 wks old) through quarantine, and I fed them once a day.  Things seemed to go just fine--no losses or ammonia/nitrite spikes.  But that's my one and only experience 🙂  Hopefully some more people will chime in!

• Thanks 1

Fish in general can go a while without us feeding them.  Healthy fish can go weeks without us feeding them.  Healthy Fish...  also they seem to find something to eat.  
I think it is a case by case.  If the tank is cycled and the fish is eating, then by all means feed.  But if the fish isn’t eating and you are just feeding to hope it will eat, then don’t.  No matter what while treating them we need to keep up with water quality.   

• Thanks 1

As an FYI, if you're struggling to find ParaCleanse, API General Cure is nearly the same. Looking at the SDS for each, it looks like there's more salt in each API packet. They're both dosing metronidazole and praziquantel at 250 mg/packet and 75 mg/packet. Possible substitution if you're struggling to find Fritz products and suspect you might be dealing with parasites.

In my area, Fritz products are very difficult to come by, while API stuff is in every big box Pet* store. 

Edited by Schwack
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...