Banana plants- too many lily pads?

I got two of these from Aquarium Co-Op, and was hoping they'd do well enough to grow some surface leaves/pads. Well, they must be real happy because they're thriving and sending up what at this point is too many. They're attractive but are shading out too much light. Do I just keep pruning them off??

Thanks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

yes, I faced a similar problem, once they send out a root they really take off. I trimmed mine a few times. After a while, I removed the root and all lily pads because it was taking over my 5 gallon. The root was huge! Covered the entire tank. I've kept it with just a few leaves and no rooting for a few months, considering putting it out in my contained pond next or letting it grow a while in my plant grow out tank.

Ph is 7.0 and nitrates are 40-50. Not positive on hardness but it’s moderately hard. 
One of them sprouted crazy roots immediately so I pushed it into the substrate, the other I left on top and it rooted in eventually as well. 

Edited by Erik G

3 hours ago, Will Billy said:

What are your guys water parameters? My banana plants are barely surviving while everything else in my tank is thriving. Im trying my best to boost these little guys up and make them happy, but im not sure what they are missing. 

I have wild collected banana plants as they are native to the eastern USA. I record the water parameters in this thread:

• Like 1

Hmm, interesting @Daniel, my PH and GH are on the high side and my KH is mid range. I wonder if that has something to do with it. My temperature is only 2 degrees higher than what you recorded. Im just trying to figure out why some people can grow this plant super easy, and others like me seem to struggle a bit. It seems like everyone is one of the two extremes, and very few in betweeners. Just seems like you either got the right stuff or you dont. Thanks for the post, im determined to figure this out.