Bloated New Betta

MoeKitties

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LkxUUKpNJgPfTWXa9 Hello! I've been watching the channel for the last year and finally decided to make the jump and got a betta! She's absolutely gorgeous and I love her. But ever since I brought her home (about 48 hours now) she's been kind of bloated. I read not to feed your fish the first day you bring them home so I didn't but I can't decide if I should skip again today and wait for the bloating to go down or if I should try feeding her half a blanched pea or just give her the pellets I got for her. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I'm very new to fishkeeping. Thank you and I love the work you do!

Edited by MoeKitties

55 minutes ago, MoeKitties said:

I added a video clip of her to the original post. She's really small so my phone's having a hard time getting a good picture

I've watched the video. I don't see any abnormal behavior. It's hard to distinguish any details on your betta that could be identifiable as bloat. Is it possible to get a closer look? I don't see any harm in trying to feed a pea. If she eats, try to keep an eye out for poop. Also, what are your water parameters?

Okie. Borrowed my partners phone to get some better pics. It's not really extreme bloating just a slight bulge. I'll try feeding her a pea and watching for poop and I'm gonna do another water test but so far it's been looking pretty good. My KH is a little weird keeps going up and down but I thought it might be the catappa leaves. Unfortunately this is an uncycled tank as both her and my goldfish are new additions to the household and we don't have any fishkeeping friends to get glorious bacteria from 😞

PXL_20210319_185900041.MP.jpg

PXL_20210319_185911501.MP.jpg

PXL_20210319_185903423.MP.jpg

Being it's an uncycled tank, I think it's important to keep a close eye on ammonia/nitrite, as their presence can certainly exacerbate any pre-existing issue, in addition to creating new ones.

It would be helpful to have some Prime on hand to detox any ammonia that may arise. I think the deshelled pea would be a good idea.

Hello all! So to update she's still kind of bloated but a couple days ago I noticed a small white dot just behind her hanging find in the front (ventral?) Sorry I don't know all the anatomy terms yet. From what I've researched this should mean she's egg bound? I did end up giving her some pea but she just spit it out a few times. Turns out she's kind of a picky fish. Doesn't like pellets or flake foods. Won't eat any veggies. So far the only thing I've really gotten her to go for has been live baby brine shrimp. She does flare a LOT. I have a master test kit and have been checking on all the water levels regularly (twice a day) so far I've been seeing small rises in ammonia/nitrates then I do a small water change and everything is back down again. Thanks for the comments and advice ❤️ I love my little fishy friend so much and I want to do well by her

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone that's been curious Mishka is doing well!! After she started eating the brine shrimp she turned into a little piggy xD everytime I go into that room she goes to the feeding flap and waits. She's still pretty round and the white dot is still there so I'm guessing she's reabsorbing eggs. I test her water every day and oddly enough I haven't seen any spikes in ammonia, nitrates, or nitrites but my pH and kh swing a little bit every day. Her temperature is stable at 78 degrees fahrenheit and I ended up adding a java fern and nana anubias to the tank for some real plant life ❤️