I have a 30 gallon tank with 8 fish: 
4 small goldfish, 3 corydoras, 1 bristle nose pleco.  
I started this tank about 6 weeks ago but being of the older generation I started it as I always started my tanks 20 years ago, not knowing about the biological cycle.  
As soon as I found the Aquarium Co-op YouTube channel and this forum I saw the value of this method of good bacteria 😇 against evil bacteria 😈.   I have optimized my Aqueon20 hob filter with  carbon infused pad and coarse sponge media with a bit of fine sponge media at the spillway and a pre-filter intake sponge.  This past week I also added the medium size coarse sponge filter in the opposite corner from the hob.  Water is so nice and clear and ammonia levels are finally stable. 
I still need to do water changes because, well, goldfish.  So my questions are:  

1.  Should I wash out the filters (in the used aquarium water) every water change or wait until there is gunk showing up on them?  
2.  Will rinsing them to often lose the good bacteria?  (I usually do a water change once a week).

3.  Does it harm the good bacteria on the glass if I wipe it weekly with my magnetic glass cleaner?

My tank is not a planted tank but I am considering it for maybe down the road.  
Also the 4 goldfish will be re-homed to my neighbor’s pond as soon as they grow a little more.  Then my tank will be a tropical only tank.

Sorry this is so long, TIA for your help.😊

37186665-7000-4526-BD63-3FE85571C00B.jpeg

• Like 1

most of your good bacteria will be in your gravel, and in the filter. wiping the glass is a non issue.  as for the filter media, a simple swishing them around in a bucket of aquarium water will knock most of the unwanted gunk out of them, and will really do no harm to the bacteria.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, seakitty said:

I have a 30 gallon tank with 8 fish: 
4 small goldfish, 3 corydoras, 1 bristle nose pleco.  
I started this tank about 6 weeks ago but being of the older generation I started it as I always started my tanks 20 years ago, not knowing about the biological cycle.  
As soon as I found the Aquarium Co-op YouTube channel and this forum I saw the value of this method of good bacteria 😇 against evil bacteria 😈.   I have optimized my Aqueon20 hob filter with  carbon infused pad and coarse sponge media with a bit of fine sponge media at the spillway and a pre-filter intake sponge.  This past week I also added the medium size coarse sponge filter in the opposite corner from the hob.  Water is so nice and clear and ammonia levels are finally stable. 
I still need to do water changes because, well, goldfish.  So my questions are:  

1.  Should I wash out the filters (in the used aquarium water) every water change or wait until there is gunk showing up on them?  
2.  Will rinsing them to often lose the good bacteria?  (I usually do a water change once a week).

3.  Does it harm the good bacteria on the glass if I wipe it weekly with my magnetic glass cleaner?

My tank is not a planted tank but I am considering it for maybe down the road.  
Also the 4 goldfish will be re-homed to my neighbor’s pond as soon as they grow a little more.  Then my tank will be a tropical only tank.

Sorry this is so long, TIA for your help.😊

37186665-7000-4526-BD63-3FE85571C00B.jpeg

Happy to hear you are educating yourself and taking action to improve the well being of your fish! I have that same HOB filter and did the exact same modification to the filter media. I'm always checking out the Aquarium-coop YouTube channel and this forum, and I learn new things everyday. 

• Thanks 1

Thank y’all for the info.  Now I feel more confident with water change knowing that I am not destroying the beneficial bacteria.  My tank is now nice and clean with very happy fish. 

Speaking of happy fish, my 2 green corys are acting very frisky now where as before they didn’t pay any attention to each other.  How can you tell male and female apart?  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, seakitty said:

Thank y’all for the info.  Now I feel more confident with water change knowing that I am not destroying the beneficial bacteria.  My tank is now nice and clean with very happy fish. 

Speaking of happy fish, my 2 green corys are acting very frisky now where as before they didn’t pay any attention to each other.  How can you tell male and female apart?  

I was just looking this up today. Apparently body size and shape. Females grow larger with more round belly. Also read males have larger dorsal fin and head, but not sure I accept that. Doesn't sound like an easy way to tell without seeing both next to each other.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JaredL said:

Doesn't sound like an easy way to tell without seeing both next to each other.

Even seeing mine side by side I can’t see any difference so I guess only the two of them know for sure😀 but thanks @JaredL for looking up the info. 

• Like 1