Winter Storm in Texas

Attn ! Anyone wondering if Goldfish can survive in pond over winter . I wasn't fully prepared for the winter storm we just experienced in Dallas TX.  My pond froze 2 inches thick . I dont have any good pictures from it but this is the pond now . All of my Goldfish also Rosey Red minnows and found some ghost shrimp alive I wasn't even aware were still in there . The pond stayed frozen for 4 days during the recent storm and the filter stopped running . Everything survived except a few guppies.  Next year I will be better prepared but anyone thinking of starting an outdoor pond Goldfish and especially Rosey Reds have no problem with cold. Hope this was helpful.

20210319_100709.jpg

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, DShelton said:

How about during the heat of the summer? I am in S. DFW, have the same 100G tub and am a bit concerned about the water temps during the heat of the summer.

Mine is a 300 gallon.  Everything thing did great during the Summer . All of my fish are bought from feeder fish tanks . Goldfish , Rosey Reds , Guppies  . The water gets up to about 90 during the day in the summer and would cool down at night . The fish remained very active and I feed them at night .

3 minutes ago, Dancing Matt said:

If it is an extended freeze, making sure the water is oxygenated is something to consider. Many ponds keep a pond de-icer floating so there will be oxygen exchange

Thanks . I am considering building some temporary greenhouse panels I can put up during Winter to keep water temps up and take down in Spring.  I think I might want more aeration anyway.  I might try some type of aerator I can run year round . I have also considered a floating deicer . This was the first winter and it did fine until will got hit by the recent storm . Unusual for texas .

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DShelton said:

Right on. Is it in direct sun? Mine will be covered most of the day and get maybe 2 hours of direct sun.

Mine was in direct sun last summer . Was just getting it set up last year . Some shade will probably go a long way towards keeping water temps lower .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gregoryord said:

Some shade will probably go a long way towards keeping water temps lower .

Yeah I hope so. This is the first time that I have put tubs out like this before. I have a 12v powered solar fountain, and that combined with a fan, if needed for evaporative cooling will make it viable for our sweltering summers.

I suspect the dirt as insulation made a huge difference in yours as deep as the 300G tubs are. That thermal gradient is probably what saved your fish during the winter storm and helps them survive in direct sun.

12 minutes ago, DShelton said:

Yeah I hope so. This is the first time that I have put tubs out like this before. I have a 12v powered solar fountain, and that combined with a fan, if needed for evaporative cooling will make it viable for our sweltering summers.

I suspect the dirt as insulation made a huge difference in yours as deep as the 300G tubs are. That thermal gradient is probably what saved your fish during the winter storm and helps them survive in direct sun.

I think those 100 gallons are the same depth.  I was looking at some recently  25 inches deep I think . Once I get all the landscaping done I was thinking of adding a couple with some plants snails and guppies.  Just trying to create a nice place to sit and relax. I think  you will probably do well with those 100 gallons.