Betta fin problems

Blueridgeknits

Hi y’all! First time posting to the forum. My bettas fins are showing some new damage. I’ve had him for about a year. 10 gallon planted tank with 1 betta, 3 ember tetras, 2 male endler, and a bunch of snails. Water parameters ph 7, kh 80-100, gh 100+\-, nitrate 5-10 ppm. No chlorine I have well water and temp is 72, but we had a cold snap so it’s usually around 74. I treated him for fin rot about 2 months ago but noticed a new tear in his fin about a week ago. I recently switched to a sponge filter from a crappy hang on back but otherwise the tank hasn’t changed. I’m concerned about where his dorsal fin (the one on top?)  meets his body and he has a small red spot on the end of his tail fin that I just saw today. Does this look like reemergence of fin rot or more like environmental damage? Thanks for reading! Pics on tumblr

What are ammonia and nitirte levels looking at the picture it could be the start of fin rot not 100%sure they's a possibility it injured it's fin and it's healing I would monitor for a couple of days if it gets worse I would treat with maracyn

On 3/19/2021 at 11:11 AM, Colu said:

What are ammonia and nitirte levels looking at the picture it could be the start of fin rot not 100%sure they's a possibility it injured it's fin and it's healing I would monitor for a couple of days if it gets worse I would treat with maracyn

My test strips don’t have ammonia on them, nitrates are 0. I did a big water change and really cleaned around the plants. It looks like he damaged his fin and it’s having trouble healing. I took the other fish out, got a heater , and treated with api fin and body cure, my petco didn’t have maracyn. 🤞 he improves. Thanks for chiming in y’all 

On 3/19/2021 at 11:57 AM, H.K.Luterman said:

I'm a bit concerned over the temperature of his tank. Bettas need warmer temps, 78-80 degrees is where they do best. Cooler water can cause their immune systems to weaken. 

Got a heater for him! We set the tank up in summer, and ended up moving the thermometer into another tank and I wasn’t checking the temp until I posted this. Dumb of me, I assumed it was closer to 76/78