Breeding Gardneri Killifish

Shenandoah Aquatics

3 hours ago, alpenglow007 said:

Is there anyway to breed these guys without having to pull a spawn mop out? I really want to see if it is possible to colony breed these. Any ideas or suggestions?

I assume that by "colony breed" you mean simply . . . start with one pair, and let things multiply naturally? I think you'll need a massively planted tank. If you buy enough Java Moss to fill in about 4- inches up from the bottom of a 10 gal tank, a few fry would survive. 

We're working with Fundulopanchax Scheeli, pulling mop and spawning in grout containers until there's a critical mass of Killis before kicking off a colony set up. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kalita said:

I was thinking I would pull the mop, allow to dry and store then wet the mop without removing the eggs. Is this a viable solution/way of doing it?

Well, most people store eggs in slightly moist peat. We’ve never done that. You’d have to research a bit. 

@Fish Folk is on the money about how to do it. But storing the eggs In Peat/coco fiber is the traditional way of doing it. And you’ll get a large spawn of fry around the same age. The colony method will result in all different size fish and the fry will pray on each other. You could set a pair up in 5/10 gallon allow them to spawn for a few weeks and move the pair and let the fry hatch out with the the parents present but you’ll run into the same issue of fry eating each other. Typically I do both methods. But Pulling eggs can be a little more work but is more rewarding. Lots of YouTube videos about it. 

• Like 1