Epsom salt bath question

Celly Rasbora

My baby Ember tetra was struggling to get to the bottom of the tank yesterday, which is where he eats. I searched for info on here and elsewhere and didn't really get good information on what to do. I am assuming he has developed a swim bladder problem somehow. I put the little guy in two cups of tank water with a teaspoon of Epsom salt for twenty minutes. Does anyone have a definite ratio and protocol for such issues?

I kept telling myself not to overreact, because it's possible to inadvertently do harm in "treating" a fish. I don't want to bludgeon this fish with care.

Whenever I look up epsom salt baths, I see people saying anything from 1/4 tsp per gallon to 1 tbsp a gallon! There really seems to be no agreed upon ratio. I'm assuming part of the problem is that differently sized fish will be tolerate different amounts of epsom salt, what might be a completely ineffective dose for one fish might seriously harm a smaller fish. 

• Thanks 1

He didn’t seem the worse for the experience. Still hanging out at the top though. I meant to give him another bath tonight but I got distracted and now the tank light is off. I’ll reassess tomorrow. He’s very active and full of spunk, even if he does have too much air in him.