Temperature gauge

Chiclid addict

Temperature gauges in order of expense:

• You can tell if the temperature in the mid 70s with your hand, 60s feel cool, and 80s feel warm, anything in between is 70s (priceless)
  • This is accurate to plus or minus a couple of degreesimage.png.a860bb6675a33c03ac2a11ab6dc9d189.png($4.00 from the Co-Op)
  • This Traceable Brand is NISTcertified and accurate to within 0.1 °F  (less than $70)temp-high.jpg.20fb232bfe7026a9cc4657ef986c1f2b.jpg
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Temperature gauges in order of expense:

• You can tell if the temperature in the mid 70s with your hand, 60s feel cool, and 80s feel warm, anything in between is 70s (priceless)
  • This is accurate to plus or minus a couple of degreesimage.png.a860bb6675a33c03ac2a11ab6dc9d189.png($4.00 from the Co-Op)
  • This Traceable Brand is NISTcertified and accurate to within 0.1 °F  (less than $70)temp-high.jpg.20fb232bfe7026a9cc4657ef986c1f2b.jpg

AQUANEAT 1 Pack Aquarium Thermometer, Reptile Thermometer, Fish Tank Thermometer, Digital Thermometer, Terrarium Water Temperature Test, with Large LCD Display https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N1QQ4EH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_7AWVN4QD1TEFV6QC0BCJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

have you had any experience with this it would be a great affordable option if it’s good

6 minutes ago, CT_ said:

I don't fully understand the reasons why, but measuring temperature accurately is hard (aka expensive).

@Daniel Is your nist traceable thermometer affordable?  I've been looking for something good under 100$

The accurate to 0.2 °F is $63 on Amazon, the accurate to 1°F is $36 also on Amazon. I use the good one to calibrate my other temperature gauges.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

The accurate to 0.2 °F is $63 on Amazon, the accurate to 1°F is $36 also on Amazon. I use the good one to calibrate my other temperature gauges.

Ah it says +/-0.2C  but that's still great for the price and Thomas is a brand I trust. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Angelfishlover said:

AQUANEAT 1 Pack Aquarium Thermometer, Reptile Thermometer, Fish Tank Thermometer, Digital Thermometer, Terrarium Water Temperature Test, with Large LCD Display https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N1QQ4EH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_7AWVN4QD1TEFV6QC0BCJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

have you had any experience with this it would be a great affordable option if it’s good

I got a few of these when I first setup my tanks. I found them to be off so much as to be fairly unreliable, even when compared to each other.

I have inkbird controllers on a few of my tanks, which act as fairly accurate thermometers but also good heat controllers, and provide some peace of mind against a heater failure.

Yeah, I've tried several and the best bang for your buck I think comes from the chemical, floating therms the co-op sells. Digital therms, I always wonder if the battery's going. External strips, I always wonder if it's actually measuring what's inside.

No guesswork with those cheap floating "mercury" style therms.

Now, they ARE dependent on circulation and location in the tank. If you stick them behind the filter outlet, under a piece of wood, they'll probably be cooler than most other parts of the tank. Up to you and your fish how much circulation you want.

3 hours ago, Angelfishlover said:

I have one on each of my tanks. And I so far haven’t had any problems. Seem accurate. I place mine by the intake pipe.