Treating ich on 100g tank

HenryC

So I finally set up my 100g tank for my oscar, 2 severums and a single blood parrot. However, I've noticed that my blood parrot developed ich! I have no idea why, he was fine until I placed him here. The severums and oscar seem to be completely fine though, even though the ich has increased on the parrot, the other 3 are compeltely free of it.

I watched @Cory's video on ich, and he said he only used salt mostly on hardy fish like african and central and south american cichlids. Would that be better than treating with ich-x? I ask this cause I wonder if they can survive the salt concentration at their current size, they're all pretty juvenile, blood parrot is about 2.5 inches long, severums about 2.5 and 3 inches, and the oscar is also a juvenile, about 5 inches (had him for 4 months),

How would you guys treat this taking in consideratio nthe size of the tank, the 4 juvenile american cichlids and the fact that it seems only the blood parrot has ich? Should I treat the whole tank, or just isolate parrot and treat him there? I got a 10g hospital tank I could use.

Thanks guys!

118615088_604985173389440_798602511127649433_n.jpg

118523929_719067538950736_8731314988631750722_n.jpg

Edited by HenryC

I have had the best luck with Ich-X over salt in my tanks, so I'd recommend that.

It's also important to note that ich can only be treated during the part of its life cycle when the parasites are free floating in your tank. It's about a 5-day life cycle, so you will want to treat daily for a minimum of 5 days.

The white spots are cysts that form around each of the parasites and protects them. They can't be killed while they are on the fish. As a result, treating ich means you have to treat the whole tank. You can't just take a fish out of an infected tank and treat that.

Sorry to bring bad news!

2 hours ago, Bill Smith said:

I have had the best luck with Ich-X over salt in my tanks, so I'd recommend that.

It's also important to note that ich can only be treated during the part of its life cycle when the parasites are free floating in your tank. It's about a 5-day life cycle, so you will want to treat daily for a minimum of 5 days.

The white spots are cysts that form around each of the parasites and protects them. They can't be killed while they are on the fish. As a result, treating ich means you have to treat the whole tank. You can't just take a fish out of an infected tank and treat that.

Sorry to bring bad news!

I will go ahead and use ich-x, he's getting worse! Thanks.

So, while Bill is right about needing to treat the whole tank, a 100g would be a huge pain with ich-x. One alternative if you have the option, would be to move the affected fish to smaller hospital tanks, take all the fish out of the 100g, treat in the smaller tank, and turn the heat up to about 85 (speeds the process but not necessary) on the big one and leave it empty of fish for a week (or two if the heat is lower and you are paranoid like me). Keep feeding the tank as if the fish are there to maintain the cycle, and the parasites will try to find fish and die off. I have had success with this method, though in my case my fishless tank had shrimp and snails in it. The parasite cannot live without its host.

• Like 1