Tennessee Aquarium

Jeff

Has anyone ever been? I'm driving down to FL with the family, and this is a possibility to stop along the way.

I'm asking, as my family of four would be about $100 to go. I've been to other aquariums; so I understand it's typically expensive. However, I've never had to pay this much.

Is it worth it?

From what I understand they are sponsored and owned by Landry's chain of Aquarium Restaurants just like the Downtown Aquarium in Denver, of which I was a founding member when it was still called Ocean Journey before it was sold to ensure its survival.

If it is anything like the Downtown Denver Aquarium it is well worth it. The one in Denver replicates two rivers, one a Jungle River, complete with giant Arapaimas, Tigers, and Archer fish, and the other the Colorado river from the Rockies to the Pacific, otters, flashflood, and all. There is also a ray petting basin that is a major attraction for the kids.

$25 per person seems to be the going rate these days for aquariums, and I usually consider it not just admission but a donation to the upkeep of the animals, and facilities.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jungle Fan said:

From what I understand they are sponsored and owned by Landry's chain of Aquarium Restaurants just like the Downtown Aquarium in Denver, of which I was a founding member when it was still called Ocean Journey before it was sold to ensure its survival.

If it is anything like the Downtown Denver Aquarium it is well worth it. The one in Denver replicates two rivers, one a Jungle River, complete with giant Arapaimas, Tigers, and Archer fish, and the other the Colorado river from the Rockies to the Pacific, otters, flashflood, and all. There is also a ray petting basin that is a major attraction for the kids.

$25 per person seems to be the going rate these days for aquariums, and I usually consider it not just admission but a donation to the upkeep of the animals, and facilities.

I consider it too. But, I'm not spending the money if it's an aquarium that's not well run / kept. 

Appreciate the feedback!

Edited by Jeff

I live like 3 hours from it and haven't been yet but I'd love to, and I've been keeping track of it but I definitely think itd be worth it. They have a lot of freshwater isotope exhibits and this one killifish endemic to Tennessee, the barrens topminnow which is a fish I would love to own someday, but is currently endangered due to the invasive species western mosquito fish. Anyways I've never actually been but really want to and i know plenty of people who have been and they all say it's a great experience

• Like 1

I love Tennessee Aquarium and definitely think it's worth it. It's split into two major buildings, river (freshwater) and ocean (saltwater), and there's also a really fun lemur exhibit. It's somewhere I really want to go back to once Covid is over; I only live about 90 min away.

• Like 2

I used to have a member pass there when I was in college. It won't blow you away with size but it is well run and the exhibits are nice, especially the one where you get to pet rays. The whole riverfront area there is pretty fantastic, a lot of fun to explore and nice places to eat after the tour.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just saw this thread and I cannot stress enough to anyone here who is into freshwater how much they need to go to the Tennessee Aquarium.  So many public aquariums have saltwater stuff, and Tennessee does too.... but their freshwater building is incredible.  You start out by going up about 5 floors on an escalator, then descend your way down through the various halls including MASSIVE viewing tanks in the center of the building.  There are very few places you're going to get to see arapaima, Asian arowana, and American paddlefish in person.... but they've got them!  It's not as big as some places (like the Atlanta Aquarium 2 hours away), but it is ABSOLUTELY worth the visit.

When Covid isn't a thing, hopefully they'll open up the sturgeon petting tank again.  They're like little puppy dogs begging for attention.  The stingray petting exhibit was still open, but sturgeon was closed unfortunately 😞

• Like 1

The Tennessee Aquarium has one of the best freshwater displays that I have seen and I have been so many times that I lost count.  I love the journey that it takes you on from the small streams of Tennessee all the way to the gulf of Mexico.  The current ticket price is in line with other major aquariums as well.  I just took my boys to the National Aquarium in Baltimore and it was about the same price and to me the Tennessee Aquarium, GA Aquarium, and National Aquarium are all at about the same level each with unique displays worthy of visiting.

• Like 1