Ick in tank from nowhere

ScottEsh

my Ram tank suddenly got ick from nowhere... I added no new fish or plants...

what I have done so far:

• turn temp up to 86deg f
  • did 25% water change
  • added medicine microbe-lift by herbtana been 1 week so far.
  • feeding Ram food with garlic 
  • added 3 tbsp salt (15gal tank)
  • added air stone 

here is what he is looking like today

Question is can I change to the ice-x instead of what I currently use?

A608188B-B2D8-4403-8071-584A3053B9FF.jpeg

Just now, Colu said:

If changing meds do 50% water change and run active carbon for 24 stress can weaken the immune system making fish more susceptible to disease 

What about a uv green killing machine?

if I do a 50% I’d have to buy a few heaters to heat the water .

I'm pretty new to the hobby still, but from what I've read, 86 F alone will kill ich within a week. And rams are probably a perfect fish to test that with. I say keep watching it, and if it recedes, you're doing something right. If not, break out the big guns with some meds.

9 minutes ago, Kirsten said:

I'm pretty new to the hobby still, but from what I've read, 86 F alone will kill ich within a week. And rams are probably a perfect fish to test that with. I say keep watching it, and if it recedes, you're doing something right. If not, break out the big guns with some meds.

I bought ich x and some other meds from the co-op just dosed the tank tonite. And will redose tomorrow.  I’m keeping the tank at 85.5 and added 3 tbsp salt (15gal tank) 2 days ago.  Keeping the lights at 50% still not sure about water changes. I gotta heat up water cuz the tank is using ro water. To keep it at 6.5 -6.8 ph for the ram

A72C09C6-8B4D-409D-B166-53F001166038.jpeg

24B96AED-E9B6-4668-A277-6AEA7BEEE40A.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ScottEsh said:

I bought ich x and some other meds from the co-op just dosed the tank tonite. And will redose tomorrow.  I’m keeping the tank at 85.5 and added 3 tbsp salt (15gal tank) 2 days ago.  Keeping the lights at 50% still not sure about water changes. I gotta heat up water cuz the tank is using ro water. To keep it at 6.5 -6.8 ph for the ram

A72C09C6-8B4D-409D-B166-53F001166038.jpeg

24B96AED-E9B6-4668-A277-6AEA7BEEE40A.jpeg

From my recent experience with ich-x, they recommend changing at least 30% water every time before you re-dose, so at least every 24 hours. At that temp, the ich parasite is going to be rapidly going through its life cycle, so you could probably speed up your water change and re-dose to every 8-12 hours depending on what you're awake to monitor. But I think the temp is honestly high enough that you stand a good chance of killing it with temp alone.

So the ich seems to be getting worse he (Ramsey)died last night... I liked this fish as he came to greet me every morning... understand that I have ptsd and the fish give some relief. And this guy was special to me. I tried my best... I did a water change last night using water from my tap as discussed  other areas here. Added ich-x turned up the water to 85 added air stone. Turned out the lights and dead Lillie buddy... I SUCK AT THIS ! And my Lilly friend died because of me..

I quit........ too stressful.... I can’t seem to keep fish or plants. Anyone want to buy $ 900 of aquariums  1 60 gallon tall, 1 32 gallon fluval flex and a 15 gallon fluval flex.. I gave it a shot for a month. 
lost all the plants in that 15 gallon cuz ya can’t put them in another tank so in the trash it goes tank and all...

61791DB8-F731-49A3-AD34-048B3BBEE78F.jpeg.ebda2aed6662b0293c19b008335fc24e.jpeg

Edited by ScottEsh
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, ScottEsh said:

I quit........ too stressful.... I can’t seem to keep fish or plants. Anyone want to buy $ 900 of aquariums  1 60 gallon tall, 1 32 gallon fluval flex and a 15 gallon fluval flex.. I gave it a shot for a month. 
lost all the plants in that 15 gallon cuz ya can’t put them in another tank so in the trash it goes tank and all...

Aww, man - I am so sorry to hear that @ScottEsh it sounds like you did try a lot, and I completely know how frustrating and sad it can be.  We struggled through like 4 or 5 rounds with ich and new fish before we finally seemed to not kill every single angel fish we brought home...  It was demoralizing and frustrating and completely deflating.  I feel all of that in your message too.

Give it a bit of time and try again.  The fact that you went through all of that shows me you are a dedicated fish keeper, and that you don't suck at it!  ❤️

• Like 1