Help figuring out what's happening with Java Fern

2 minutes ago, Jennifer V said:

@H.K.Luterman do we trim the dying leaves that don't have plantlets? 

Honestly I'm extremely new to java fern. I've tried to grow the regular kind without much luck, though I've had some success with the windelov variety. I do notice that when I put in a newly purchased plant in, it has a tendency to make plantlets on the dying leaves. My current windelov, I waited until the plantlet detached itself, then I trimmed the dying leaf off. There is new growth on the plant, so all seems to be going well. I dose with Easy Green once a week. 

All I can think of is that there must be a deficiency/stressor of some kind in @Joshyray's case, as that's when the plant makes plantlets, though since they're dosing with Easy Green, I'm not sure what it could be. What's your lighting schedule like and how warm is the tank? Hopefully someone with more experience can chime in. 

Mine does stuff like that too. I do think some of it is that it wants a TON of potassium, which my water has very little of, and that it has to adapt. The plantlets seem much more robust, but I have also heavily started supplementing with potassium.

My understanding of Java Fern is that the plants create plantlets from the leaves as an attempt to "spread its seed" when it thinks it is dying.  I'm not an expert and can't tell you what nutrient(s) it is lacking but I believe the plant is telling you it isn't getting everything it needs to survive.  I would guess that @Brandyis seeing healthier plantlets because of her new supplementing.  Good luck.