Algae and snails and ammonia

Plutoids Mom

I set up my 20 gallon long one week ago. I put in seven plants, a sponge filter from my other tank, and have been putting Stability every day. Tested the water today and ammonia is at 4 and nitrite is at 1-2. Plants are super happy with new leaves and runners. It's obviously not ready for fish, but I found a bladder snail today in there and there is plenty for it to eat with biofilm and possible algae.

Question 1: Should I do a water change at this point to get ammonia and nitrite down? Things are high because the gravel I used came from an old tank that had lots of algea. It had been sitting dry for 6 years but I couldn't get every little piece out before putting it in the tank. 

Question 2: I was going to get a nerite snail. I'm assuming they aren't as hardy as the bladder snails?

Question 3: How long do I have before I have a crazy number of bladder snails? Debating taking it out now before things get out of hand, but I really want the help cleaning things up before I could get the nerite snail.

20210315_154627.jpg

10 minutes ago, Plutoids Mom said:

I set up my 20 gallon long one week ago. I put in seven plants, a sponge filter from my other tank, and have been putting Stability every day. Tested the water today and ammonia is at 4 and nitrite is at 1-2. Plants are super happy with new leaves and runners. It's obviously not ready for fish, but I found a bladder snail today in there and there is plenty for it to eat with biofilm and possible algae.

Question 1: Should I do a water change at this point to get ammonia and nitrite down? Things are high because the gravel I used came from an old tank that had lots of algea. It had been sitting dry for 6 years but I couldn't get every little piece out before putting it in the tank. 

Question 2: I was going to get a nerite snail. I'm assuming they aren't as hardy as the bladder snails?

Question 3: How long do I have before I have a crazy number of bladder snails? Debating taking it out now before things get out of hand, but I really want the help cleaning things up before I could get the nerite snail.

If you aren't already aware, nerites leave white eggs all over your tank. They won't hatch, unless you're adding salt to the tank or something, but many people find them unsightly. I don't mind them, but it's something to be aware of if you're someone who needs things to be "perfect."

20210315_154627.jpg

1. I wouldn't do a water change. Let the tank naturally process the ammonia. I think you'll be better off in the long run letting things run their course.

2. I've had a nerite survive in 2ppm ammonia without any issue. I wouldn't intentionally add nerites because they aren't free, but if you did I'm guessing they'd get through OK.

3. My experience is you get an explosion of snails and then a slow population reduction back to an equilibrium. I wouldn't go nuts plucking them out, but some people are really anti snail. Bladder snails do a great job breaking down organics, like the stuff you've probably got in your gravel. They'll turn that into nice, fine snail poop for your filter to eventually suck out of the water.

• Like 3

I agree with @Schwack let you bacteria colony mature. Plants actually prefer ammonia over nitrate, they will help too. As far as the algae there are many different species of fish and invertebrates you can add after your tank has cycled. If you dont want bladder snails you should remove them immediately. They can reproduce asexually, so even 1 can be the start of a colony. I personally am pro bladder snail all the way, as they have a lot of great benefits to an ecosystem and one of the best tank cleaners in my opinion. However i also understand why they can be overwhelming to some people, especially people who are newer to the hobby, or how they can make a tank appear unkept. I do not wish to persuade your decision one way or the other, but i would press upon you to make a decision quickly before there are tiny hidden snail eggs in places you cant see that will force you to take further steps and measures to remove them should you not want to keep them. If you do choose to keep them, then no harm no foul, and enjoy your awesome team of freshwater glass roombas that will scrub your glass clean. 

• Like 1

I'm so torn, but I think the snail is going to have to go just because I have a feeling there is enough hidden leftover "stuff" to fuel a snail explosion of a nuclear size. Dang. I wish they reproduced a little slower because it would be great to have them clean it all. Of course, when I went back to pluck the little thing out to put it in a jar, it already disappeared. (It is going to live in my water garden container outside once the weather warms up some more.) I had mentioned the nerite snails previously to my significant other and that met with approval only after I said they couldn't breed in the tank, so that is another factor.

Thanks for the advice on the water change! That helps a lot! I'll gladly put the buckets away for a little longer.

Nerite snails are also an excellent choice. They have a voracious appetite and fit in well with most any tank setup. The big bonus as you mentioned is they wont breed in freshwater tanks so population control is quite simple. Just a quick tip, tho they wont breed unless in brackish water, they will still lay eggs. The eggs wont hatch, and you will have to scrape them off with like an old credit card or something that wont scratch your glass. I didnt want your significant other to freak out if and when they see a random snail egg hanging around lol