DIY Syndrome

Gideyon

I've heard of MTS syndrome.  As a newcomer to the fish keeping hobby, I can understand this, even if I don't have multiple tanks.

But has anyone in the hobby developed a DIY Syndrome?   Where you just have to build your own version of something you could just buy? 

For example, as I've been looking into a possible second and bigger tank, I found myself researching how to make my own internal filter that doesn't look ugly. I don't have my own tools or space to do any cutting of acrylic, so I started looking into acrylic containers I could modify.  Looking into powerheads vs air pumps.  I go to sleep imagining different ways to make it work.   

I really don't have to do this. I could get a good HOB, a sponge, a filter box (recent discovery), or a matten filter.  But it just wouldn't look the way I want it to look.  

I'm almost willing to try to build it and not even have a tank for it, just so I can do it. 

And if I do that, what's next? 

Anyone relate to this or am I alone? 

• Like 1

I felt compelled to make my own pasteur pipette, that's probably the silliest yet. Filter solution and background. "Night lights". I began making kind of an under gravel filter system but I let that slide. But honestly the whole aquarium thing was probably due to diy-cravings as much as the other way around 😉

• Like 1

I get great satisfaction when I can diy things especially with items that l already have.  The most recent thing was coming up with a filter system that would create gentle circulation just enough to suck up the debris from the bottom of a bare bottom tank but not disturb Axolotls who are known to foul their water and to not like circulation.  After two months of use, it seems to be working!😊  

What have you done in the past?  Are you still working on your filter idea?

1 hour ago, Lifeisgood said:

What have you done in the past?  Are you still working on your filter idea?

The only thing I did fish related was a simple "hot rodding" of my HOB filter and baffling the output. Nothing big. But it's inspired me to do more.  

As for my new idea, finding the right peices for the filter, and deciding between a water pump or a powerhead. Not sure what is best in terms of GPH for a 55g. I also want to be able to easily change out media, unlike these bottle or pvc diys I've seen.   But they've given me new ideas.  DIY King had some great internal filter ideas but it requires tools I don't have. So I'm trying to improvise. 

I also have some ideas to make it black without painting. 

It depends on the widget but I have DIYed A LOT of stuff.  some exist, some don't work exactly how I want, some don't exist (like a proper brine shrimp hatchery heater for something smaller than the ziss).  If I can't fiddle with it it's not fun!