Volcano

This is Chester- he loves cello, his food, dancing, and the couch. Here he's taking an afternoon break by my workspace. So I have an abundance of rabbit pellets, could I bake them and use them as fertilizer for the aquarium plants, or is this extremely unsafe?

0CE6A6D8-7BCA-457F-8BCD-DF29381F7332.jpeg

Edited by Volcano
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

From my terrestrial gardening experience I remember rabbit pellets as being mild and therefore very good in my garden beds.

In the past small amounts of sheep manure were used like root tabs.

image.png.92bb826a63241ccafd156013a5441e

Maybe there could be a future Co-Op product called 'Rabbit Tabs'!🙂

I like @TheDukeAnumber1 idea of 'composting' them first.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As I recall from keeping rabbits, the urine is very "hot" with lots of ammonia. The pellets not so much, but most rabbits use the same location for both activities. I think your best bet would be to make a mini test with a single liter of water with a single pellet. Test the water after 1 day and 2 days. Compare to ammonia, nitrate, nitrite levels in a container of water with a sqirt of easy green or a conventional root tab.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Brandy said:

As I recall from keeping rabbits, the urine is very "hot" with lots of ammonia. The pellets not so much, but most rabbits use the same location for both activities. I think your best bet would be to make a mini test with a single liter of water with a single pellet. Test the water after 1 day and 2 days. Compare to ammonia, nitrate, nitrite levels in a container of water with a sqirt of easy green or a conventional root tab.

These are intentional pee-free pellets that he leaves in his very favorite spots. Hence, why he is not allowed on the couch anymore...we have quite a collection of them:)

Edited by Volcano
  • Haha 2

• 1 year later...

Wanted to bump this.

I was just wondering about this as an idea and upon googling if people did this, I found this feed.

Have you had any success with this? I found a "recipe" for how to convert their poop into a powder and then place that in a capsule. I am curious why not just bury it, as-is?  I definitely agree with the whole taking the freely dropped ones and not those found within the litter box. The urine is potent. 

Any further thoughts? Curious the implications of long term use. I also don't know that I would consider this off topic. Seems this would be more suited for the plant section or the experiment section. Just my opinion. 

I use the bunny compost in my garden regularly. Their hay, bedding, and poop make a wonderfully rich compost.

received_604210424392346.jpeg

Edited by Shmaty
  • Love 1

I have a lot of plants growing out of my tank and historically I test 0 across the board for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. My aquarium plants stay small, while the emergent plants suck up all the nutrients. That's why I was considering this as an alternative way to add natural ferts into it. I definitely understand garden≠aquarium.

I want to test it in a small batch. See what happens. I only have one aquarium and it's 180G so it should allow me to buffer any spikes very easily. I just wanted to see what Volcano's experience was.