Ostracized cardinal tetra

CT_

I've got 9 cardinals in a 15g tank.  When they tend to spend their time in the more open areas of the tank except for one who hides behind my rock and java-fern in the bottom corner most of the time.  Its color is fine and its not frantic acting so I assume its not stressed.  Any idea why one of them is a loaner.  I got them from ACO and I reading the shipment history, the group could be a mix of tank and wild.  Could the loaner be from a different group and not identify with the rest?  Is there another species of cardinal thats almost indistinguishable to people?  Is it just a weirdo fish? 

Nothing to worry about @CT_unless you notice the loner not eating, losing weight, or displaying some other bizarre behavior. I've got a group of 35 cardinal tetras in my 75 gallon tank and one, or two always like to hang out by themselves, they're not sick, just like to do their own thing. I'd worry when someone walks up to the tank too fast and they wouldn't join the others for schooling behavior at that moment, but mine do and your "weirdo" probably will join the others in that moment too. Long as they're coming to get food, don't lose weight, and seem normal in all other aspects except their preference to hang out by themself I wouldn't worry.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Jungle Fan said:

Nothing to worry about @CT_unless you notice the loner not eating, losing weight, or displaying some other bizarre behavior. I've got a group of 35 cardinal tetras in my 75 gallon tank and one, or two always like to hang out by themselves, they're not sick, just like to do their own thing. I'd worry when someone walks up to the tank too fast and they wouldn't join the others for schooling behavior at that moment, but mine do and your "weirdo" probably will join the others in that moment too. Long as they're coming to get food, don't lose weight, and seem normal in all other aspects except their preference to hang out by themself I wouldn't worry.

yeah it'll school up if something really scary happens.  it's the last one to come for food but it will come and stays on the edge of the group.

I feel like he needs whatever the fish equivalent of a hug is.