Undergravel filter effective range

keddre

I’m not going to pretend to be an engineer, but I put and Undergravel filter in my new play tank and have a question about effectiveness. In my mind, wouldn’t it just pull water from the area immediately around the uplift tubes (the two circles on my fancy picture) and ignore the rest of the Undergravel area? I’m just trying to get a better understanding as I learn about it. 

364AFFE2-C878-4280-B07F-F24909B30455.jpeg

3 minutes ago, keddre said:

I put and Undergravel filter in my new play tank and have a question about effectiveness. In my mind, wouldn’t it just pull water from the area immediately around the uplift tubes

That could well be true, but it might not be important. If the filter moves enough water through the gravel to keep the beneficial bacteria in contact with the nutrient waste your aquarium is producing, then you very likely have more than enough biological filtration to handle your bioload.

Do anything seem amiss?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

That could well be true, but it might not be important. If the filter moves enough water through the gravel to keep the beneficial bacteria in contact with the nutrient waste your aquarium is producing, then you very likely have more than enough biological filtration to handle your bioload.

Do anything seem amiss?

No. Nothing is wrong, just learning and questioning