Birding Report - 3/13/21

Fish Folk

Hopefully next month I'll get to go take pictures of these guys again at Alamosa, CO when they return from Bosque Del Apache, NM where they winter. They stop in Alamosa to pair up if they're young, for established pairs it is just a rest stop before they finally disperse throughout the Rockies for the summer. I love that Pine warbler shot!

IMG_3159 (2)-Edit C.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Eddie Dingle said:

I put my oriole feeder out, it's probably still a little earlier for it but I'm always paranoid I'll miss them passing through Ohio. 

That’s interesting. We get Baltimore and Orchard Orioles. They like oranges cut in half and mounted on a flat board.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fish Folk said:

That’s interesting. We get Baltimore and Orchard Orioles. They like oranges cut in half and mounted on a flat board.

I put out orange slices and grape jelly for Baltimore Orioles, they usually show up in early April but I've seen them as early as mid March. They stick around for a few weeks before they move further North to nest. 

• Like 1

True story: Our neighbor just a bike-ride up the street has a small Emu farm. Last week, one escaped, and the farmer was asking everyone where it was. I saw it running around once or twice. Then two days ago I went birding out that way... and found it eaten, stripped to the bones. My guess is coyotes! 

• Sad 2

We were lucky enough to live in an apartment complex that backed up to Cornell’s Lab of Ornithology’s bird sanctuary when we were in Upstate NY. We put a bird feeder out on our fire escape and got all kinds of amazing visitors. One snowy morning we saw a drab brown bird with very generic markings, but definitely something we hadn’t seen before. We poured over the Sibley guide and found one option, but could it be...? Then the next morning we saw the male, and indeed it was—Rose-breasted Grosbeaks. I know it’s not a rare bird but we only saw them for maybe three days, and I’ve never seen them since. Their songs were sooooooo pretty.  Birding can be magical, like searching for fairies.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

What types of food are you all offering in your yards right now? Since spring is here in Ohio I've been offering safflower to cut down on the blackbirds, thistle, and live mealworms. I just put out my oriole feeder with a little bit of grape jelly, when the orioles do show up I'll fill the feeder up and start putting out orange slices too. I'll probably put out the hummingbird feeders soon as well. 

On 3/14/2021 at 8:53 AM, Daniel said:

Me and my boys saw an emu, it was a life bird for me.

My eight year old son is really into chickens and ducks, asked for an incubator for Christmas which Santa brought him. He hatched his first batch of chicken eggs earlier this spring, last week I was asking him what he wanted to hatch next. He told me that he had ben on eBay looking at hatching eggs and saw you can buy emu eggs, and asked if we could get a couple and put in the incubator to hatch. I got on eBay to check it out, there was a listing for two eggs and bidding was at $250! I promptly told him no LOL

• Haha 2

On 3/14/2021 at 9:27 AM, Fish Folk said:

True story: Our neighbor just a bike-ride up the street has a small Emu farm. Last week, one escaped, and the farmer was asking everyone where it was. I saw it running around once or twice. Then two days ago I went birding out that way... and found it eaten, stripped to the bones. My guess is coyotes! 

This post need 2 reactions a laugh for the first part and then sad for the second part  

• Like 1

On 3/28/2021 at 3:36 PM, Eddie Dingle said:

What types of food are you all offering in your yards right now? Since spring is here in Ohio I've been offering safflower to cut down on the blackbirds, thistle, and live mealworms. I just put out my oriole feeder with a little bit of grape jelly, when the orioles do show up I'll fill the feeder up and start putting out orange slices too. I'll probably put out the hummingbird feeders soon as well. 

I can link you a bunch, I put out seed cylinders in cages and buy some shelled sunflower and peanuts as well as an expensive blend of calcium feed for spring eggs. Nuthatches and woodpeckers love it.

I do get starlings but I have a pellet gun for a reason

I buy my stuff at Wild Birds Unlimited since I'm a member and they do a decent rewards program. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, stowcenter93 said:

I can link you a bunch, I put out seed cylinders in cages and buy some shelled sunflower and peanuts as well as an expensive blend of calcium feed for spring eggs. Nuthatches and woodpeckers love it.

I do get starlings but I have a pellet gun for a reason

I buy my stuff at Wild Birds Unlimited since I'm a member and they do a decent rewards program. 

I also shop at my local WBU, it's a little pricey but they have top quality products, most of my feeders are from WBU. I'll have to try the calcium blend, I always get house wrens in my backyard birdhouses, I'm sure they'll appreciate the extra nutrition. Unfortunately I have neighbors that would freak out if they saw me with a pellet rifle to control invasive species lol. 

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, stowcenter93 said:

Got two new lifers yesterday! Added a few Savannah Sparrows and Vesper Sparrows to my life list! They showed up at our county fairgrounds area, which is right next to conservation grassland. 

It is always a thrill to add a lifer!