Linear Ait Piston Pump

JeremyAllen

Hi all, I am looking at a way to switch up my use of air and curious on when I should consider a Linear air piston pump a reasonable idea to possible cut down on electricity usage and to still provide air to my tanks. I have 6 tanks 3 being 10g a 20 tall a 35 and a 55 all having sponge filters. Any tips or info on the pump in this way is appreciated!

• Like 1

• Administrators

I do t think there is much savings with only 6 tanks honestly. Over a very long time, you’d save buying replacement air pumps. However the smallest would still run like 20 tanks and the power consumption would be higher

Have you considered the USB pumps? The price of 6 would be way less than a linear piston pump. Their power consumption is nominal, the ones I like are 5 volt, 2 watts. They are dead quiet (linears are loud) and if the power goes out you can power them with battery backups or even your phone. All my old air pumps are in a box now and have been replaced with USBs.

Linear piston pumps are more common for fish rooms that are running between 25 to 50+ air drops. It's hugely overkill for anyone with less than 2 dozen tanks.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Cory said:

I do t think there is much savings with only 6 tanks honestly. Over a very long time, you’d save buying replacement air pumps. However the smallest would still run like 20 tanks and the power consumption would be higher

14 hours ago, Mr. Ed's Aquatics said:

Have you considered the USB pumps? The price of 6 would be way less than a linear piston pump. Their power consumption is nominal, the ones I like are 5 volt, 2 watts. They are dead quiet (linears are loud) and if the power goes out you can power them with battery backups or even your phone. All my old air pumps are in a box now and have been replaced with USBs.

Linear piston pumps are more common for fish rooms that are running between 25 to 50+ air drops. It's hugely overkill for anyone with less than 2 dozen tanks.

Thank you very much exactly what I was looking for!