Colorful beginner fish

Gideyon

On 3/12/2021 at 12:14 PM, Gideyon said:

Is there an alternative when you can get one type of fish (with color) in a community tank? 

When I needed to simplify, I got 1 angelfish. He's a gorgeous light gold with blue "dangly fins." Angels are good solo or in groups. Since you're interested in color, I'd say to look up "koi angelfish." They're colored like actual koi. 

Editing to add: Having many colors of one species can totally work. Someone's idea of platies is great because they're hardy. One catch with livebearers is that you'll need a plan in place to deal with the fry. (That's actually why I originally got the angel - to keep the livebearer fry in check.) Angels do come in a variety of colors and patterns too.

As for plants, Cory has a video about vallisneria, saying that if you only ever get one plant, get that one. So I did, they froze in transit, and are growing back! They don't need root tabs, don't need much light, and spread fast. I really don't want to bother with plants either, but this does seem to be working easily.

Edited by CalmedByFish
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CalmedByFish said:

When I needed to simplify, I got 1 angelfish. He's a gorgeous light gold with blue "dangly fins." Angels are good solo or in groups. Since you're interested in color, I'd say to look up "koi angelfish." They're colored like actual koi. 

Editing to add: Having many colors of one species can totally work. Someone's idea of platies is great because they're hardy. One catch with livebearers is that you'll need a plan in place to deal with the fry. (That's actually why I originally got the angel - to keep the livebearer fry in check.) Angels do come in a variety of colors and patterns too.

As for plants, Cory has a video about vallisneria, saying that if you only ever get one plant, get that one. So I did, they froze in transit, and are growing back! They don't need root tabs, don't need much light, and spread fast. I really don't want to bother with plants either, but this does seem to be working easily.

I don't think I can keep more than 2 angels in a 55g.   But as I'm slowly leaning towards a mix (because of a lack of options), one angel could be nice.  I like the lace despite its lack of color.  I read that they mix well with dwarf gouramies, so the honey gourami is in play (I'm a fan of those).   

The livebearer fry do concern me. I guess you're saying that's food for the angel?  

I'll look for the video, but I read up on the plant.  I'm curious if it grows in gravel substrate, as what I read just said "silted".   If I can, I may experiment in my betta tank. 

Thanks for the info. 

My experience, valisneria grows well in gravel (small or pea sized or a bit larger) but it can grow TOO well and take over the tank if you don't pull up unwanted runners, and it can float and cover the top of the water (something to think about).  I would recommend Anubias, they also grow in soft or hard water (like Val) but they don't need any substrate (can hook or glue to wood, rock, suction cup, or plastic decor) and they grow slow, so no maintenance in over a year, mine have done well with and without Easy Green, even flowering.

My experience Platy babies stay near the bottom of the tank and Angel fish or an African dwarf frog will easily control fry.  Guppy babies tend to stay near the top & an Angel is much better for controlling fry than the frog,  A betta in a 55 can do a fairly good job of fry control also.

If you aren't excited about plants, stay with fake ones, I like to think of plants as reducing tank maintenance, more plants = fewer sponge cleanings and gravel vacs.

• Thanks 1

Don't forget killifish! There are literally over 1000 species, but some of the non-annuals have colour to die for! Of course, you'd have to research the species you like and see if it's something you can do. Also need tight fitting lid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gideyon said:

I don't think I can keep more than 2 angels in a 55g.   But as I'm slowly leaning towards a mix (because of a lack of options), one angel could be nice.  I like the lace despite its lack of color.  I read that they mix well with dwarf gouramies, so the honey gourami is in play (I'm a fan of those).   

The livebearer fry do concern me. I guess you're saying that's food for the angel?  

I'll look for the video, but I read up on the plant.  I'm curious if it grows in gravel substrate, as what I read just said "silted".   If I can, I may experiment in my betta tank. 

Thanks for the info. 

I wouldn't be too worried about livebearer fry. I am not a fan of letting fish get eaten by other fish, so leaving them in the tank works fine for me. They are so fun to watch grow up. If you are worried about overstocking with too many babies, the tank will gradually adjust on its own to the bioload as they grow. If you really don't want them, you can always trade them in to your LFS for store credit.

I'll look for the video, but I read up on the plant.  I'm curious if it grows in gravel substrate, as what I read just said "silted". 

Yeah, the angel ate the fry. If you ever want a few to live, you could give them hiding places, or just put them in a baby net on the side of the tank until they're big enough to be safe.

My vallisneria is growing in gravel. 

If you opt for an African Dwarf Frog, do a ton of research first. They usually need to be in a species-only tank to really eat well, and must have a low water level so they can easily surface to breath. I've had 3 - down to 1 now - and I've found that they need a lot more observation than fish to make sure they're getting their needs met.

12 hours ago, Gideyon said:

Does anyone have experience with ram cichlids?   I'm getting mixed thoughts from people on of its too hard to care for, or easy for a novice?   

I haven't kept them, but everything I've read about them suggests that it depends on what kind you plan to get.  Bolivian rams are more forgiving, and less particular about water temperature and parameters, than German blue rams.

• Thanks 1

Okay... I'm starting to really like the rainbow fish tank.  

But I have some doubts. Maybe someone with experience can clarify. 

1) conflicting temperatures:  75-78, 80-86.   That's a big difference.    

2) one person talks about 50% water changes every week. It was hard to tell if he did it for water clarity, or for the health of the fish.   

3) it's been recommended to have no hardscaping because they can run into them.  Is this anyone's experience?

4) no one considers this a beginner fish.  What part of it requires experience?    It didn't take much to convince me that cichlids aren't for me. But I'm trying to figure out what I'm missing in regards to rainbows. 

20 minutes ago, Gideyon said:

Okay... I'm starting to really like the rainbow fish tank.  

But I have some doubts. Maybe someone with experience can clarify. 

1) conflicting temperatures:  75-78, 80-86.   That's a big difference.    

2) one person talks about 50% water changes every week. It was hard to tell if he did it for water clarity, or for the health of the fish.   

3) it's been recommended to have no hardscaping because they can run into them.  Is this anyone's experience?

4) no one considers this a beginner fish.  What part of it requires experience?    It didn't take much to convince me that cichlids aren't for me. But I'm trying to figure out what I'm missing in regards to rainbows. 

I have rainbows in my 65 gallon tank.  I don't know why they wouldn't be fine for a beginner.

50 minutes ago, JettsPapa said:

I have rainbows in my 65 gallon tank.  I don't know why they wouldn't be fine for a beginner.

What temperature do you keep it at?   Do you use hardscape? 

Which rainbows do you have?   

Also, just curious... Do you have any bottom dwellers with them to help with algae? 

I think there are many different varieties of rainbow fish from different areas that probably have different requirements. So if you want to go that direction, I'd recommend zeroing in on the exact variety you most want to keep, then finding other fish (possibly other rainbow fish) that match those requirements.

From what I understand, many rainbow fish are from Papua New Guinea and are relatively new to the hobby, so there may not be as much information about how to keep them and not as many well-known companions from nature. Not to say that any of them are hard to keep, but that information might be a little more scarce than for, say, south american cichlids.

Also, just curious... Do you have any bottom dwellers with them to help with algae? 

Not all bottom dwellers eat algae, and none are simply cleaner fish, but if you were looking for a fish tank eats algae and is compatible with rainbows, I would say go for bristlenose plecos or rubberlip plecos.

8 hours ago, CorydorasEthan said:

Not all bottom dwellers eat algae, and none are simply cleaner fish, but if you were looking for a fish tank eats algae and is compatible with rainbows, I would say go for bristlenose plecos or rubberlip plecos.

I know not all do.  I really don't like to have a cleanup crew but having plants makes me feel like algae will be a problem.  I'm just not a fan of snails or plecos.  

On another thread, I discovered the Dennison Barb, which originates from my ancestral home.  Fascinating fish.  But I might be priced out of that for a decent school.  It would be cool to have a "Kerala Tank" though. 

Edited by Gideyon
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Gideyon said:

I know not all do.  I really don't like to have a cleanup crew but having plants makes me feel like algae will be a problem.  I'm just not a fan of snails or plecos.  

Other things you could try that aren't plecos or snails: siamese algae eater, panda garra, hillstream loach, borneo sucker, florida flagfish, molly, otocinclus, amano shrimp, cherry shrimp.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Gideyon said:

What temperature do you keep it at?   Do you use hardscape? 

Which rainbows do you have?   

• 80°
  • I have 3 pieces of bois d'arc wood, about Ø2" x 24" with anubias on them
  • Lake Kutubu (Turquise rainbowfish)
  • My bottom dwellers are a school of Corydoras panda, which of course don't eat algae, and a pair of bristle nose plecos
4 hours ago, Gideyon said:

You will likely have less of a problem with algae if you have live plants instead of more.  Live plants will take up nutrients that would otherwise be used by algae.

• Like 2

@Gideyondon't necessarily give up on your dream because of  looking at the upper end of prices, many LFSs like the one I frequent  do give discounts on larger volume sales, or have different pricing for small, medium, and large size fish, they are also more willing to special order if they have a guaranteed sale as long as the customer is willing to commit. I noticed that there can be more than a $10 difference between small and large Roseline sharks which is another name the Dennison  barbs Puntius denisonii go by.

Edited by Jungle Fan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gideyon said:

On another thread, I discovered the Dennison Barb, which originates from my ancestral home.  Fascinating fish.  But I might be priced out of that for a decent school.  It would be cool to have a "Kerala Tank" though. 

I’ve recently been to Kerela, it’s a beautiful place. I think a region specific tank based on the area would be really cool. 

5C589B9F-8E57-4F50-B5C0-8DDEEA5A79A7.jpeg

018A1269-2DFE-4B1E-B2DC-14676A52F339.jpeg

• Like 2