crushed flake food.

CT_

Does anyone pre-crush their flake food? Is there a way to uniformly crush flakes so every things close to the same size?    None of my fish (the largest being a guppy) like the big flakes, the have to chew them and they often make it to the ground before getting chewed up enough to eat.  I also find it really hard to measure flake food.  A "pinch" can vary in my hands by probably 3x or more day to day. 

I recently switched to hikari micro pellets and they seem nearly perfect (some times a bit too big for my tetras) sized.  but I also have this giant can of flake food that I'd like to mix in to the rotation. 

mortar and pestle if you are feeling fancy. Otherwise crushing it in your fingers is just fine. Flaked food can be chewed and spat up by guppies and tetra so getting it to be uniform isn't a huge issue. Rule of thumb is feeding as much food as the fish will eat in 2-3 minutes.

If within your means I prefer feeding fish 3 times a day so that they don't overeat during individual feedings and thus less waste

I use an electric coffee grinder to make fry food. It turns anything I put in there (tubifex worms, flakes, algae wafers, etc.) into a dust-like food that fry love. It makes everything dust-like though which may be too fine for you. IF you could find a screen material (maybe window screening for guppies) and forced flake food through the screening it would achieve the results you're looking for without making it too small.

I usually just crush it between my fingers as I'm feeding based on the fish in the tank. I did however recently see a video from Goliad farms on YouTube with a tip, he took a piece of 3/4" PVC pipe that was 6-8" long and just repeatedly crushed the flakes in a fish food container, he turned them into a powder rather quickly. 

Some of the flake food is very large flakes so over a large bowl I'll squeeze a handful of quality flake food yo get a more palatable size flake. For fry food I'll do this more aggressively for smaller bits, add a tsp of spirulina powder, and then when feeding a thumb and forefinger pinch may be squeezed to make it even smaller as/if necessary. 

• Like 1

I crush mine with my fingers and load it into a turkey baster and it works great.  With the baster, I'm able to control how much food enters the water column to minimize how much hits substrate.  My tank is stocked with tetras who will only feed mid-column so using my fingers was hard to gauge how much I actually had between my fingers since it was so tiny when crushed, and often ended up as too much at a time.