Apistogrammas

Munkyaquatix

I think some very closely related apistos *may* produce hybrid offspring, but in general I don't believe they are fertile. I don't believe the A. agassizii and A. cacatuoides are closely related enough for this to happen, they aren't in the same complex/group. See this page for information on Apisto groups and complexes: http://www.tomc.no/page.aspx?pageid=127

Maybe someone else will know more? I've personally only kept A. hongsloi so far.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, JamesB said:

I beleive that the agassizii and the cacatuoides are in two different genus' so therefore they wouldn't breed (I think...)

They are both the same genus (both genus Apistogramma). But @Munkyaquatix I have never heard of any apsitos crossbreeding, so I think you'd be okay. A problem that might arise is territorial issues, so plan accordingly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As @ererer notes above Apistogramma do hybridize within species groups i.e. commbrae-complex, regani-complex, paucisquamis-complex, nijsseni-group. Chart from Mike Wise article.

image.png.30c90a48547b7944505fd4321d7bf0ce.png

I don't know how likely the hybridization is but I don't think it is impossible as they are in the same 'trifaciata' lineage (I also haven't tried it so I don't really know).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1