Quarantine start- to feed or medicate first

Pics of my fish for attention - I just received an order of fish from The Wet Spot - 21 cardinals, 11 black phantoms, 11 long fin cherry barbs, 31 chili rasboras - all for different projects including a surprise scape of a friends tank that met a bad end. 

I have used the quarantine trio in the past. Most recently my methods have been one of 2 ways - I medicate them first, waited 3 days, did a 50 % water change then fed them. Other times I let them settle in, added 1 teaspoon of aquarium salt, fed them, next day medicated them thought was some may die in first 24 hours just from shock so why waste meds on them. That sounds cold hearted writing that but  anyway wondering about others order of operations. Thanks much. 

4A58B5CE-35B4-46C2-B38C-4C618302BA4E.jpeg

1357A5EE-E4E6-4DAA-8B84-F1422D4C7C1C.jpeg

• Like 1

If there are no immediate signs of disease I would feed and observe for two weeks.  Maybe start them on salt at this time as well.  I only medicate if a problem comes with them or shows during the two week observation.  I would also run the water temp on the high side of what they like.

• Thanks 1

I have taken to feeding for a day or two and the treating with an actual course of paracleanse since you can’t see problems inside your fish. If I see other things I would treat for that. I heard Cory mentioning two rounds may be better. 

HOWEVER, I think it depends on the state of the fish. The I lost a whole new group of sterbai cories. Partly not my fault for inspecting more at the store but they were super skinny. Now was this disease or stress/feeding I don’t know. I think they may have been better served with being fattened up more before trying to do anything else. 

• Thanks 1