Breeding White Cloud Minnows - Question

FrozenFins

So for my outdoor tubs this year I am trying to get everything finalized. The Plan is to breed Yellow Fin White Cloud Minnows along with keeping some panda corys as a clean up crew. The goal is to breed the white clouds, and it would be cool if the corys breed, but i dont care if they do or dont.

Anyways, I have never bred a fish that needs a spawning mop. I read that mosses can do the job of a spawning mop. So I was thinking I would use java moss. Do I have to remove the eggs from the moss for them to hatch, or can I leave them in there and they will hatch by themselves? Or will the aduldts eat them?

I plan on using a 40 gallon stock tank.

• Like 1

If you are using tubs the idea is to heavily plant them up and maybe provide some marble size pebbles on the bottom and the fish will take care of the rest.  White clouds will eat eggs but hopefully they will be concealed by all the cover when they scatter them.

Including cories is what I don't know about.  I feel like that would definitely impact your white cloud breeding as they will also eat eggs they find, but I've never tried it. Truth be told you don't really need a clean up crew in a tub as the plants do so well in the sun but it would be super cool if you could breed both.  Hopefully someone who has tried it will pitch in.  Good luck. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ryan S. said:

Including cories is what I don't know about.  I feel like that would definitely impact your white cloud breeding as they will also eat eggs they find, but I've never tried it. Truth be told you don't really need a clean up crew in a tub as the plants do so well in the sun but it would be super cool if you could breed both.  Hopefully someone who has tried it will pitch in.  Good luck. 

Thanks!

Yeah, I guess I kinda knew you didn't need a clean up crew, I just wanted an excuse to buy some panda corys, lol.

• Like 1