What is the best carpeting plant

Chiclid addict

WIll you be using CO2 or not?  If not, I would tend to recommend dwarf sagetteria.  If you keep a fair amount of light on them (medium to high), then it will stay pretty short and compact.  Dwarf sagetteria is a really easy to grow plant.

The pictures the co op have of theirs is pretty tall, and honestly none of mine grow that high in my tanks.  But the co op does sell it: https://www.aquariumcoop.com/collections/live-plants/products/dwarf-sagittaria

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ben_RF said:

WIll you be using CO2 or not?  If not, I would tend to recommend dwarf sagetteria.  If you keep a fair amount of light on them (medium to high), then it will stay pretty short and compact.  Dwarf sagetteria is a really easy to grow plant.

The pictures the co op have of theirs is pretty tall, and honestly none of mine grow that high in my tanks.  But the co op does sell it: https://www.aquariumcoop.com/collections/live-plants/products/dwarf-sagittaria

6 minutes ago, Ben_RF said:

Found this random picture for you off the internet.  This is a good example of what dwarf sagetteria will look like once its establishd and begins to spread out.

s-l1600.jpg.4caa2fdb07e5501903e0a8185a5d2dc9.jpg

How many plants is that and how big is that tank and I won’t be using co2

Edited by Angelfishlover

No clue to the number of plants in that picture or its size, as its not my tank but a random picture. 

Counting the first row of dwarf sag in my 10g which is fairly compact, I see there are 46 pressed right up against the glass.  About a year ago I planted 8 in my 10g and now it has nearly taken over the substrate.  The substrate in my tank is ecocomplete. 

Edited by Ben_RF
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Ben_RF said:

No clue to the number of plants in that picture or its size, as its not my tank but a random picture. 

Counting the first row of dwarf sag in my 10g which is fairly compact, I see there are 46 pressed right up against the glass.  About a year ago I planted 8 in my 10g and now it has nearly taken over the substrate.  The substrate in my tank is ecocomplete. 

Thanks do you know if it would be possible to do dwarf hair grass on no co2 

this is the link to it:https://www.aquariumcoop.com/products/dwarf-hair-grass

Edited by Angelfishlover

2 minutes ago, Angelfishlover said:

Thanks do you know if it would be possible to do dwarf hair grass on no co2 

It is very very not for beginners. I am pretty plant savvy and I can get tufts, but I have never made it really carpet. I don't run CO2, have med lights, and use both liquid ferts and root tabs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A thought: java moss. you can put it under mesh, or attach it to pebbles, and then trim HARD. Like keep it at 1-2 inches, just like mowing a lawn. You will be clipping it lots but it will work under lower light, and with minimal care.

A random pic off the internet:

moss4.jpg.de4e31fc21a616bd8a12b6315b0e9e82.jpg

Edited by Brandy
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Brandy said:

A thought: java moss. you can put it under mesh, or attach it to pebbles, and then trim HARD. Like keep it at 1-2 inches, just like mowing a lawn. You will be clipping it lots but it will work under lower light, and with minimal care.

With the Java moss will I eventually be able to take the mesh off also if you couldn’t tell this is my first carpet so I’m looking for something   That is decently hardy 

Just now, Angelfishlover said:

With the Java moss will I eventually be able to take the mesh off also if you couldn’t tell this is my first carpet so I’m looking for something   That is decently hardy 

No, once it consumes the mesh you wouldn't be able to get it free, lol. If you don't want mesh, I would just weight it down with rocks, and let it spread. It will self attach to substrate like eco-complete, but digging fish will tear it loose. It would be the most forgiving...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brandy said:

No, once it consumes the mesh you wouldn't be able to get it free, lol. If you don't want mesh, I would just weight it down with rocks, and let it spread. It will self attach to substrate like eco-complete, but digging fish will tear it loose. It would be the most forgiving...

So I won’t be able to see the mesh unless I really look and my rope fish couldn’t get under it those are my only concerns with it mainly the second one if I can see it that’s fine 

I don't know I havn't kept ropefish. I bet a khuli loach could get under... It really would depend on the mesh. My problem with most mesh is that it will be stiff, and my tanks rarely have flat substrate. I used a rock, and thread, to weight down a little ball of java moss, and then I have sheared it into a nice little hedge MUCH bigger than the original ball. I could let it spread out and trim shorter, and for a real carpet like the pic I think I would use many small pebbles, and it will get there and lock together eventually. Probably a little slower, but safer than mesh.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Brandy said:

I don't know I havn't kept ropefish. I bet a khuli loach could get under... It really would depend on the mesh. My problem with most mesh is that it will be stiff, and my tanks rarely have flat substrate. I used a rock, and thread, to weight down a little ball of java moss, and then I have sheared it into a nice little hedge MUCH bigger than the original ball. I could let it spread out and trim shorter, and for a real carpet like the pic I think I would use many small pebbles, and it will get there and lock together eventually. Probably a little slower, but safer than mesh.

So how would I go about weighting it down with the pebbles would I just place it on top of something 

In our water, we've struggled with carpeting plants. But one interesting option is clipping small pieces of rotalla indica and planting stems in close proximity. It grows into a "fluffy carpet." Usually it's sort of a "middle ground" aquascaping plant -- not fine enough to be considered a grass carpet . . . but not large-leafed and defined like a stem plant, a sword, anubias, buce, etc. In the photo below (not my tank), I've circled it. We find this really grows pretty well for us. It also turns pink when it nears the light

Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 12.06.52 AM.png

Edited by Fish Folk
autocorrect fail
  • Like 3

Well I am new to planted aquariums...   So in my case, the best is the one I don’t kill.    So far the only I have dried (almost 2 months) is Crypto Parva, if this is even considered a carpeting plant.

So I am just waiting for them to fill in.    

C52E2503-A419-413F-80CC-31F26543D5C1.jpeg

DAC82D32-FD61-4E42-9582-30EF8D37C63E.jpeg

A829387D-E78A-4B19-B373-6C299A6CB6B2.jpeg

0F0497E9-DD4F-43A3-9278-4AF41B79A395.jpeg

• Thanks 1

There are many factors to consider, obviously you've already determined you don't want to run CO2, next you need to know what type of intensity light you'll be using, then you still need to determine how "short" you want your carpet. If you don't mind a bit shaggier, taller look then you could also consider more typical mid-ground plants like Cryptocoryne wendtii Green Gecko, or Helanthium quadricostatus which are in the lower to mid light requirement category. Carpeting plants generally look easy but it usually takes a while to achieve good growth for most who are just starting down that path. @Ken's advice to plant some of all you'd like and have researched is something I would advise as well. In the past have found Staurogyne repens to work really well for me as a strict carpet plant but I'm also using CO2, although that is not necessarily a requirement for this plant. In my current tank I have abandoned the regular carpet I used to grow and replaced it with a mix of Cryptocoryne wendtii Green Gecko, and Staurogyne repens and i like it, and my fish downright love it, but I do recognize that not all love the look, if they prefer super manicured aquascapes. I got the idea of using crypts instead of carpeting plants actually from one of @Cory's videos in which he showed a tank where he had done just that. I wouldn't advise it though for anyone who has to be able to know at all times where his/her fish are, since they love to hide in my "carpet".

Edited by Jungle Fan