Aww poor little guy

Really Moniter his fins, injurys like that can easily cause finrot. Your probably fine but I'd hate to see Pete go through finrot like Hugo did, never want to go through that or see someone else go through that.

Sending some good vibes to pete!

Edited by James Black
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, James Black said:

Aww poor little guy

Really Moniter his fins, injurys like that can easily cause finrot. Your probably fine but I'd hate to see Pete go through finrot like Hugo did, never want to go through that or see someone else go through that.

Sending some good vibes to pete!

Sounds like you will be doing a few water changes over the next couple of weeks. 😁 Get well soon Pete!

• Thanks 1

I've been watching Pete like a hawk, and I feel like he's healing well!  Slowly...but well!  All fin splits have healed, and the top of his lil' noggin looks less orange...so hopefully, his red scales are growing back in!

Whenever I read a journal post, I am always interested to know what the water parameters and fertilizing regimens are for the tank...so, I'm going to add mine for people like me (hopefully, I am not the only one! 😂)! 

• Temperature - 76 degrees Fahrenheit
  • pH - 7.4
  • Ammonia - 0-0.25 ppm (tank is new, so cycle is not 100% stable yet)
  • Nitrate - ~20 ppm
  • Nitrite - 0 ppm
  • GH - 9 degrees
  • KH - 4 degrees
  • Water Source - Tap Water directly from tap (Charlotte, NC) - I'll edit the post to post the water stats of the tap water later!
  • Fertilizers
    • Easy Green - 2 squirts weekly or when nitrate hits below 10 ppm
    • SeaChem Potassium - One capful weekly
  • Water Change
    • Whenever ammonia is 0.5 or higher.
  • Lighting - Fluval 3.0 (see current schedule below - Pink aligns with Warm White)

2110615009_Screenshot2021-05-0810_54_58AM.png.fff95eab88de46443a5c894a5b7a54e4.png

• Like 1

Installed a pink flamingo crypt today from the Co-Op!

2082167593_Screenshot2021-05-108_55_40PM.png.65242372816a44e9457a960933c4602c.png

A little sad that it was only one big rosette (there was a tiny one that I pulled off...hopefully, it will survive on its own! 🤞). Can't wait to see it settle in!!

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Just now, Patrick_G said:

Are you giving her some co2 or trying low tech? 

Low tech!  I've had a good amount of success with Wendetii Green and Tropica with my set-up...so I'm crossing my fingers that success with two crypt species means success with all!  🤞🤞🤞

She's in a higher light/higher poo area (the feeding happens in that corner of the tank), so that might help, too!  We shall see!

• Like 1

Pete is a weird dude.  I'm pretty sure he's the Zoolander of betta fish.

Does anyone else's betta fish freeze and "pose?"

Also...his noggin is looking better!  I think the scales are growing back, and I'm not seeing any signs of illness...unless posing is a sign of illness...haha!

763124690_Screenshot2021-05-117_24_57PM.png.1cb3e167e22400b6ba348d8a294949c7.png

883117307_Screenshot2021-05-117_24_25PM.png.19bb9c9429efafd9f23d1532b97a2dc9.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Love 4

• 2 weeks later...

So...I was bad and ordered more stock for my tank. 😬

Got a breeder pack of orange sakura shrimp and some more lambchop rasboras to re-up my population (now that I know the error in my ways, we'll be treating the water correctly and quarantining the rasboras...for sure!).

I'm hopeful that I can get the shrimp to breed and transfer some to Spritz's tank at school, too! 🤞

Surely now I'm finished ordering fish and plants...right? 😜😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Betsy said:

So...I was bad and ordered more stock for my tank. 😬

Got a breeder pack of orange sakura shrimp and some more lambchop rasboras to re-up my population (now that I know the error in my ways, we'll be treating the water correctly and quarantining the rasboras...for sure!).

I'm hopeful that I can get the shrimp to breed and transfer some to Spritz's tank at school, too! 🤞

Surely now I'm finished ordering fish and plants...right? 😜😅

done ordering, not hardly.😎

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/11/2021 at 9:02 PM, Betsy said:

Pete is a weird dude.  I'm pretty sure he's the Zoolander of betta fish.

Does anyone else's betta fish freeze and "pose?"

Also...his noggin is looking better!  I think the scales are growing back, and I'm not seeing any signs of illness...unless posing is a sign of illness...haha!

763124690_Screenshot2021-05-117_24_57PM.png.1cb3e167e22400b6ba348d8a294949c7.png

883117307_Screenshot2021-05-117_24_25PM.png.19bb9c9429efafd9f23d1532b97a2dc9.png

That is one beautiful betta.....Congrats on your tank it look phenominal!

• Thanks 1

This tank seems to be doing well!  Pete was perturbed that he didn't win prettiest Betta, and then he got distracted by the corydoras noshing on the Shrimpee sticks ("Whatr you guyz doin??"). 😜👍 

553466806_Screenshot2021-07-189_10_39PM.png.9f3c76eb2d478081f69f1954a5fd3750.png

I started using Easy Carbon to help fight some algae in the tank a few weeks ago...things were going along swimmingly until I decided to get fancy and dose twice in one week (I'm dosing wayyyy under the recommended), and the crypts did not like.  I got a pretty good deal of crypt melt...but I'm enjoying the effect.  The area to the right of the tank feels much like a "crypt forest" right now because I vacuumed out all the melted lower level leaves (the melt could also be occurring because the upper level leaves are blocking light from the lower level...didn't think about that until just now).  In any case, Pete and the cory cats love weaving through the "trunks" of the taller leaves.

One sprig of the scarlet temple survived...I'm about ready to trim and plant.  I got wild (well...wild, for me) and trimmed and planted the bacopa with some success.  Maybe stem plants don't completely hate me after all! 😂

Here's a minute in my tank after feeding the Shrimpee Sticks, for funsies:

• Like 2

I think pete came 3rd in the prettiest betta contest, and he was leading the contest for the majority of the week. None the less he is still very pretty.

Hugo too loves to weave in and out of the crypt green gecko in his tank as well. Back when he had neon tetras with him, the tetras werent allowed in the crypt, only hugos was ( i dont make the rules, hugo does🙄)

• Thanks 1

On 7/18/2021 at 10:08 PM, James Black said:

he is still very pretty

Pete says thank you for the compliment!  (And, thank you for putting all of that together!!  Those photo competitions were really great!  You two did an excellent job with the organization of those contests!! 😆👍)

Hugo sounds like he has quite the personality (and, he is pretty, too!!)!  Hugo posts are some of my favorites. The bettas really do make the rules, don't they??

Pete likes to monitor his minions from the MagFloat! 😂

1149496690_Screenshot2021-07-189_08_09PM.png.9c665598e0a883b8b64b5888003cbc56.png

• Like 3