Phew, y'all!  This tank is giving me the run-around!

I water changed yesterday after finishing the medications for my rasboras.  Lost two more lambchop rasboras: one overnight and one at some point today.  If my tank had been more suited, they would not have needed medicine.  The poor fishos were definitely stress sick because of the pH of my tank....I had assumed that if my pH was steady, I could keep pretty much any fish that was close in range...that was not a correct assumption!  Arggg.

I removed the rasbora and tested the water parameters when I got home.  Everything was typical except for the ammonia - 0.5 ppm! 😨  I didn't want to do another water change and risk more deaths, so I added 50 mL of cycle bacteria (which is the starter dose for my tank size)...I probably over did it.  I'll test again before I go to sleep to make sure that the ammonia has gone down.  Arggg.

On a positive note: the corys are happy, the shrimp are happy, and I'm assuming the nerites are happy...I never see them!  They're always in the driftwood.  Anddddd, I have a surprise bladder snail!  I swear it doubles in size daily.

Peggy and my crypts bring me the most joy!  And, to think, I used to think crypts were not cool...I was SO wrong!! 😂

Now...if I could just keep these rasboras alive and get my tank water cleared up...!!

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

So hears a thought... now im not sure, so could someone confirm?

With your water being cloudy its probably a bacteria bloom. Its often occurs during the nitrogen cycle when the bacteria is finding a place to colonize. All though you did cycle the tank before adding fish.

Now heres my thought...

Maybe you have inadequite filtration, not enough surface area for the bacteria to colonize on. Of course this would also depend on your stocking and plant choices, more fish = more biolode = more filtration.

Whats your filtration like?

Or maybe the cloudy water was caused by the meds.

I hated crypts first too🤣 now they are one of my favorite plants!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, James Black said:

Whats your filtration like?

I am running a Marina S20 HOB and a small Co-Op Sponge filter.

I do think it could be something to do with the bacteria/cycle.  I'm concerned that the meds might have knocked out my cycle...but the ammonia increase today could have also been because of the rasbora.  

It could also be the meds still in my water - I did a 25% water change yesterday (as per the instructions), so that means there's still a good amount of meds in the tank...lots of variables!

I'll make a video tonight when the glare goes down!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Betsy said:

Phew, y'all!  This tank is giving me the run-around!

I water changed yesterday after finishing the medications for my rasboras.  Lost two more lambchop rasboras: one overnight and one at some point today.  If my tank had been more suited, they would not have needed medicine.  The poor fishos were definitely stress sick because of the pH of my tank....I had assumed that if my pH was steady, I could keep pretty much any fish that was close in range...that was not a correct assumption!  Arggg.

I removed the rasbora and tested the water parameters when I got home.  Everything was typical except for the ammonia - 0.5 ppm! 😨  I didn't want to do another water change and risk more deaths, so I added 50 mL of cycle bacteria (which is the starter dose for my tank size)...I probably over did it.  I'll test again before I go to sleep to make sure that the ammonia has gone down.  Arggg.

On a positive note: the corys are happy, the shrimp are happy, and I'm assuming the nerites are happy...I never see them!  They're always in the driftwood.  Anddddd, I have a surprise bladder snail!  I swear it doubles in size daily.

Peggy and my crypts bring me the most joy!  And, to think, I used to think crypts were not cool...I was SO wrong!! 😂

Now...if I could just keep these rasboras alive and get my tank water cleared up...!!

I treated my tank with Maracyn, finished up the round on Saturday, and I'm struggling with the same issue. Nitrite appears to be solidly fine (and I'm seeing Nitrates rise after every water change). Ammonia never rises above 0.5ppm, but I dose with Prime and do every-48-hour water changes. I've been adding bottled bacteria all week and PRAYING it'll come down and sort itself out soon. I'm on the edge of my seat trying to ensure the health of my fish!

Let me know if you can get yours down and steady again.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, laritheloud said:

Let me know if you can get yours down and steady again.

I'm crossing my fingers!!!  I will definitely let you know.

Here's an unexciting video of my tank...you can see my cloudiness and pitiful java fern, haha!

There's a lot that I really like about my tank...I guess I just need to be patient! 😐

Still dealing with DBF...I ended up pitching my dwarf lily bulb because it was growing nothing but fungus.

And, I ordered a package from the Co-Op on Sunday...catappa leaves for the rasboras, an airstone for the betta I am babysitting (it's got a 1 gallon tank, and I am ITCHING to upgrade it...but I feel like it's not my place), a nano sponge for my quarantine tank, spirulina flakes for the corys and the rasboras, some Hikari BioGold (because I love Spritz and he loves Hikari), some aquarium salt (because not everything needs maracyn), some Easy Green (because I need a home bottle and a school bottle), and some plants (because PLANTS ARE GREAT!) 😜🌱  I bought java fern, java moss, and crypt tropica.  Crossing my fingers that it will arrive tomorrow!!

• Like 4
  • Love 2

2 minutes ago, Betsy said:

I'm crossing my fingers!!!  I will definitely let you know.

Here's an unexciting video of my tank...you can see my cloudiness and pitiful java fern, haha!

There's a lot that I really like about my tank...I guess I just need to be patient! 😐

Still dealing with DBF...I ended up pitching my dwarf lily bulb because it was growing nothing but fungus.

And, I ordered a package from the Co-Op on Sunday...catappa leaves for the rasboras, an airstone for the betta I am babysitting (it's got a 1 gallon tank, and I am ITCHING to upgrade it...but I feel like it's not my place), a nano sponge for my quarantine tank, spirulina flakes for the corys and the rasboras, some Hikari BioGold (because I love Spritz and he loves Hikari), some aquarium salt (because not everything needs maracyn), some Easy Green (because I need a home bottle and a school bottle), and some plants (because PLANTS ARE GREAT!) 😜🌱  I bought java fern, java moss, and crypt tropica.  Crossing my fingers that it will arrive tomorrow!!

It's a beautiful tank, I can't wait to see how it grows. I'm trying to teach myself to be patient, too, but it's so hard, especially when you have to bite your nails over a mini-cycle/cycle crash after attempting to do everything the 'right' way! Live and learn, right? I got my quarantine tank set up, too, after this experience. 

Are you sure the dwarf lily wasn't going to sprout?? That's such a shame. Mine had a thick layer of biofilm but after two weeks it's taking off, and the snails make feasts of the film that keeps growing on it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, laritheloud said:

Are you sure the dwarf lily wasn't going to sprout?? That's such a shame. Mine had a thick layer of biofilm but after two weeks it's taking off, and the snails make feasts of the film that keeps growing on it.

Thank you for the kind words!  Patience is the toughest, haha!!  We will get there eventually...right??

The bulb was getting soft on the top...and I had already gone through two rotations.  I think it was a non-starter!  I'm sure I'll try another one in the future.  They seem so wonderful!

• Like 1

Hi @Betsy, the aquarium looks very beautiful! I love the way the crypts look! The aquarium is definitely worth being patient for. 

Regarding the cloudiness and water parameters, how long had the tank been set up for prior to adding the rasboras and corys? In the post you made about the rasboras, I saw that their were nitrites in the water, maybe the aquarium was cycled but not necessarily established for that amount of fish. By that I mean the beneficial bacteria colony was not large enough to support that many additions all at once. The cloudiness definitely looks like a bacteria bloom. Especially knowing that ammonia became present in the water. 

I would personally try to not make too many changes to the aquarium. A water change here and there if ammonia creeps up but I would try to give the aquarium consistency so it can regain equilibrium/ let the aquarium become established. That & possibly a sponge or something with beneficial bacteria from an established tank if possible. Sometimes it is difficult to do if there are too many changes being made all the time. 

Also, as far as the rasboras pH range (saw it on the other post as well), I do not think that is the problem. Personally, I have kept harlequin rasboras and lambchop rasboras in my aquariums and my pH is over 8 with medium to hard water. 

With dwarf aquarium lilly bulbs, I place them in a container or cup of aquarium water and let them sprout there. Once they have sprouted, I transfer them to the aquarium. They are a wonderful plant! 

On a side note, thank you for doing the job of teaching. I think teaching is one of the most important jobs out there and I can tell by how much positivity you have in your posts (& willingness to learn) that you are a great teacher that truly cares about their students. So thank you for not only doing the job, but doing the job right. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think at this point don’t make any changes. I’d let it ride and not add anything. I think we are all tinkerers at heart as aquarists and we think that one new thing will put us over the edge. I wish you nothing but joy as this moves forward. It’s a beautiful and well thought out aquascape. I really like the plants and hardscape choices. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Isaac M - thank you so much for the encouragement!!!  I really appreciate it! 😊

The tank had been set up for a month before adding the rasboras.  I added 13 shrimp and a nerite 10 days in and had no issues, so I was feeling veryyyyy confident, haha!  I am sure that adding the corydoras and rasboras and another nerite all at once was too much for my bacterial population.  I'm probably overfeeding, too...I worry about the corys getting enough to eat!

Things have been cloudy since the beginning of the tank...I thought it was substrate dust.  I recently cleaned out parts of my HOB.  I did not rinse out the sponges/biomedia, but I did make sure that there was no more gunk in the plastic parts.  I'm sure my HOB maintenance is part of my issue!  

I will definitely try your lily bulb method the next time I get one!  That sounds like the way to do it!!

@Beardedbillygoat1975 - you are far too kind, haha!!  When something goes awry, I automatically feel like I need to do something to fix it!  I will have to work on letting it ride, for sure! 🚙😂👍

I really appreciate you both!!!  I will do my best to take a step back and let nature do its thing! 

• Like 3

@Betsy of course! And as far as feeding the cories, you can always feed the rasboras their food and while they are eating, you can drop some sinking food for the corydoras. That way you do not feel the need to overfeed. But overfeeding is not the worst thing, at least to an extent, it can just be harmful when the tank is not so established. But yes, letting things ride out would be a good thing to do, to let nature do what nature does. 

Yeah doing the lilly bulb like that is helpful as it will sprout and you can see what is the correct way to plant it. I place it in a cup, let it sprout, plant it in the aquarium and let it thrive haha 

I cannot wait to see your updates! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, laritheloud said:

Hey @Betsy just thought I'd check in on how your tank's doing!

My ammonia finally cycled back to zero today, so I'm feeling much more relaxed. Hope your cycle (and your fishes) are recovering well!

My ammonia was zero today, too!!  And, I haven't had any further Rasbora deaths (thank goodness!!)

I was not at home on Saturday, but my Co-Op order came in and I planted all my plants today...I feel like that is the ultimate insurance - MORE PLANTSSSS! 😜🌱👍

Thank you for checking in on me!  I am so glad your tank is cycling and working out - it is definitely stressful when things don't go right!!

• Like 4

It's amazing what a difference a month can make!

Here's my Aquarium Co-Op Crypts (Wendtii Green) at planting on March 22:

2096627244_Screenshot2021-04-299_11_53PM.png.f423197e74484943487f39bc2de624e8.png

And, again on April 29:

299589920_Screenshot2021-04-299_12_39PM.png.263432676380ba619b66691b6512ce39.png

I meannnn... @Cory - if that's not an ad for the Co-Op's awesome plants...I'm not sure what is!!! 😜 (minus my pitiful peroxide burned Thor Java fern...which did not come from the Co-Op, haha!)

Edited by Betsy
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, James Black said:

Man thats some great growth!

I bought crypts a month or two ago and they are still growing back from crypt melt!

Thanks, friend!!!  I feel like your crypts will take off soon!!

Is it a big bunch?  You could always try pulling it up and separating it into smaller rosette bunches and replanting!  That's what I did here - this was two and half "pots" separated and spread out!  I trimmed the little tips off the roots to encourage growth as well (as for if that made a difference or not...I have no idea!).

I'm off to stalk your journals now to see if I can spy them! 🤓👍

8 hours ago, Cory said:

Looking great. I plan to use a bunch of crypts in the new fish room for sure. So easy and they look great.

I am loving them!!  I blame @Streetwise - his journals convinced me to give crypts a try!  It's the wavy leaves for me! 😜

Can't wait to see more content related to the new fish room!!  It's looking super snazzy so far!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, ADMWNDSR83 said:

Now I'm jealous!  I bought a few crypts from ACO for my southeast Asia biome, and they are struggling something fierce.  Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but my first try with crypts is frustrating at best!

That's frustrating!!  I wonder if it's a water stats thing or a substrate thing...or a luck of the draw thing!

I've got a layer of regular flourite under a 0.5" layer of flourite black sand (I feel like the roots like to have some wiggle room...I may just be projecting), and I dose Easy Green once a week.  My pH is around 7.4, and my GH is around 9 degrees.

And, now I'm going to have to try to find your journal post, too!  Haha!!  🤓👍

Update: Your substrate sounds really similar to mine...so I don't think it's that!  Your tank looks awesome!!

Edited by Betsy
  • Thanks 1

Wellllll....Pete scraped his head!  I feel really bad for him.  I will be monitoring him and the water parameters intensely for the next couple of days.

1511756212_Screenshot2021-05-046_24_51PM.png.2b1e292518f86f7594b83f5ef5135b1a.png

Does anyone have any experience with a scraped betta?  Looks like he split some finnage, too. ☹️

Poor Pete!

(Apologies for the dirty glass!)

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2