API Test Kit Results

YIACrazy

I used API test kits obsessively in the past, but as I have gotten my tanks established. (Test strips for piece of mind) However I started having issues and things aren't making sense. I think the township changed something in the water. I used the API test kit and the normal was way too high...Off the chart blue, however the pH High read as if it was 7.4. I'm worried because the idea starts to creep in that 7.4 and 7.8 colors don't look so much different.... Although truthfully I've never seen a pH that high. The fish don't seem too worse for wear if I can need to bring it down slowly, (someone mentioned ammonia doing something toxic at 7.8?) but some recent deaths in other tanks might finally be explained. I've got fish coming in next week...I can buy water for a week or two, but need to get this sorted. Thanks

I've had a similar issue. My pH is as blue as it can get (I guess) on the low range.  But is clearly on the low side with the high range.  And obviously the numbers don't add up. It's above 7.5 on one test, and lower on another. 

I was beginning to wonder if there's something wrong with the test.