Easy Green Nitrates

b_ball34

• 1 month later...

I don’t mean to hijack this thread but I have a question if anyone can help. If my nitrates are at 5ppm and I want to raise them to 20 pom like Cory recommended, would it be safe to over dose slightly to get my nitrates up to that level? Then test daily and monitor how my nitrates do so that I can calculate how much it drops over the week?

@MadTurtlewouldn't your nitrates rise naturally if you did not do water changes and used regular dosing of Easy Green.  I have a hard time keeping mine down to 20 with half dose Easy Green and understocked tank....one of the many things that confuses me in addition to yo-yoing plant growth and almost every kind of algae... just thinking out loud cause not sure I can even say it is my 2cents. following to see what others post

I am not sure Tami. My tank is not overstocked and I was doing weekly 30% water changes.I have a 40 gallon breeder with 16 red eye tetras,a mollie that thinks he is a red eye tetra,  a kribensis, and a clown pleco. Also 3 mystery snails. I use an aquaclear HOB. My nitrates never went above 5, but I was having an algae problem, which is the main reason I decided to add plants. If I am going to grow something, I would rather it not be algae. I just added some amazon swords, wisteria,water sprite, and an annubias. I am fairly new to all if this , so I am trying to figure it all. Sometimes I think I over complicate things