Does Female Endler Matter?

JaredL

I have a Japanese Blue Endler male. I have no other endlers as this fish was accidentally transported with a plant I bought. I'd like to get him some female companions and see if I get some fry.

My question is, do I need specific female endlers to keep the Japanese Blue variant? Or will any endlers work? 

I'm not interested in grades or anything, just like the look and would like to try to keep it at least for a few generations.

I have been breeding endlers just to see if I could successfully do it. I did start with 6 of equal female and males. Now I am not giving or selling them, but it is very interesting to watch the different color patterns that come. Not every fry survives because I do let it happen in community tanks and actually now would love for the colony population to slow down, but it has greatly! The males are highly colorful, but they are not a variant or hybrid. They are simply feeder fish. Their colors, patterns, and even the way their fins are shaped or angled are beautiful. Some are more lowly or straight, longer or shorter. Now I did not chart the colony because it was not a pull and breed from specific tanks unless I felt the colony was getting too inbred. There was a time that the fish were losing the original colors of the founding fish so I pulled an original member and bred it with the females remaining in the tank many generations down to continue the color pattern. I wanted to try my hand at this and something that simply cost be less than $5 for probably 100 fish or more continuing the eaten fry. It has been a great joy too! I started about March or April of 2020 and I’m coping to get all members moved to my community tank soon to slow down the remaining generations. Now, there are still a few fish living with my beta, but for company only and hoping he will eat the fry. That is until I find something else flashy he would keep company with but not disturb as he does them.

• Like 1