Removing Ammonia from Tap water *advice requested*

Solidus1833

So since the TexasSnowmageddon, my city is dosing ammonia it seems. I'm regularly getting 1ppm from the tap. I've set up a 32gal can with aerators and some Fluval Ammonia Remover to see if that could possibly drop the ppm prior to water changes. Has any one else tried this method? Will the ammonia burn off just from aeration? I could always not deal with this and use Prime during the waterchange to nullify the ammonia as my 72g planted tank can eat off 1ppm NH3/4 in about 24hrs. Anyone got any ideas to prep water and remove ammonia? 

they are likely dosing chloramine, not ammonia. If you are using the API liquid test kit the ammonia test will pick up chloramine as ammonia because chloramine is chlorine+ammonia, you need to use a dechlorinator like prime or safe, one that binds to both chloramine, chlorine and ammonia. When you use Prime on chloramine, it converts the chloramine into ammonia, then it will convert the ammonia into ammonium, which will make it non-toxic. many municipalities use chloramine after storms plus other chemicals. I always try and hold out as long as possible after storms to do water changes. 

Chloramine also cannot be boiled out or aged out, it lasts in water for 3 months and will kill your fish if you do not use something to bind it out. Sorry for the long answer. 

Also I would recommend getting lots of plants, pothos from a home depot or super market can be quickly converted to above tank life, they are great at absorbing ammonia because their leaves are above the water. 

• Like 2

I agree with everything you mentioned, however I've never had my api test show NH3/4 from the tap until these last two weeks. The city did put out a notice that they were dosing Ammonia in March due to the watersystems here freezing up. (part of maintenance). However I cant get a good answer from them when I call the city municipal waterworks. I always dose Prime directly into the tank as I know they dose chloramine. Just weird now that I'm getting receiving 1ppm nh3/4 from my api test kit for my tap, never happened before. I've had my tap tested at my lfs last month before the freeze and there was zero nh3/4 on their kits as-well. 

So I suppose I can still just use Prime as it nullifies ammonia as well for 48hrs while my tank eats it up?