So I know the Fluval 3.0 is a fav among aquarists, but it is far too expensive to buy in Canada ($300 on Amazon). I can't justify that for a low-tech tank. Finnex isn't as widely available here either so I'm really looking at Nicrew. Specifically, I am looking at the NICREW SkyLED Plus Aquarium. It seems pretty similar to the Nicrew ClassicLED plus. It does have increased red spectrum light than some of their other models. 

I am doing low-medium light plants in a 33 gal (36 long x 18 deep x 12 wide). Of course I have I few inches of substrate so don't need it to travel the full 18 inches. The most demanding plants I would like is Scarlet Temple and maybe some type of carpeting plant.

SkyLED plus
:2021-03-09.png

ClassicLED plus
he2021-03-09 (1).png

RGB Plus:

719-nnBqhJL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Thoughts?

Edited by Kalita
  • Like 1

I used the Nicrew Classic and it grew plants great for me and I really like the color rendition.  This is a really old picture of my 5 gallon. Since that tank was so short I didn't have trouble carpeting but it will work great for low light plants too. You could definitely carpet even with the height of your tank. Without having tried this light at multiple heights all I can say is there is a possibility that your carpet might be a little taller and less compact.

IMG_0307.jpg.1e1f982e368b9b4d754290bbca684186.jpgIMG_0320.jpg.954a095fa62991ce013de6b9084c4dc5.jpg 

• Like 2

By the way I forgot to mention the mistake I made with this light! I ordered the 12-18 inches version when my tank is 16 inches long and realized that the length is including the mounting legs. If you look at the picture above it doesn't fully cover the tank. If I were to do it again I would pick the size up and just have to light sit on top of the tank without the legs. But it might not matter to you just wanted to give you a heads up.

• Like 1

I actually have the Nicrew Classic G2 right now but was researching and wanted full spectrum/red which the G2 doesn't have (it's only white/blue). Otherwise it's a great light. But yea, I ordered to 30-36 and the light itself is only 30" with the legs extending out. The glass cutout in my canopy is only 30" anyway so I ended up removing the legs and "pancaking" it. I know the corners won't get as much light but that's ok, I can plant strategically while keeping a layer of glass between the water and light

Thanks for the heads up!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ben_RF said:

Also I bought a dimmer for mine and keep it about at 40% for my best results.

I plan to do the same! The SkyLED plus lets you customize the white and blue independently (apparently not the red but that's ok). I plan to limit the blue. Thanks!

Edited by Kalita
  • Like 1

OK I looked it up I have the classicLED plus.  You can press buttons to dim "white" (which includes red and green) and a different button to dim blue.  It also remembers your setting when you power it off so it still works with a wall plug timer.  My only gripe is I had to buy the 18" version because they don't make a 24 inch version and the next size up is 30.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CT_ said:

OK I looked it up I have the classicLED plus.  You can press buttons to dim "white" (which includes red and green) and a different button to dim blue.  It also remembers your setting when you power it off so it still works with a wall plug timer.  My only gripe is I had to buy the 18" version because they don't make a 24 inch version and the next size up is 30.

I was seriously considering that one! Honestly seems pretty similar to the skyLED plus. I'm getting the latter in 30" as that's the size of the glass cutout in my canopy. It's not ideal as my tank is 36" but 3" on either side isn't the end of the world. 

I already have timers so I will definitely be putting those to use! 

Thanks for looking it up and sharing your experience - appreciate it!