Aqueon glass lid quality control

Paul

I recently bought a 40 breeder from Petco ($1 a gallon sale) along with the corresponding lid. When I set the tank up the lid doesn’t fit, it’s 1/2” too wide (front to back). I called the store I got everything from and they measured the rest of the 40 breeder lids and they were all the same size as the one I had. I called and emailed  Aqueon about this and they tried to throw Petco under the bus saying that Petco was reboxing Tetra tanks as Aqueon. Then I read them the code on the bottom of the tank and then they admitted it was theirs. So it looks like with the added volume quality control has taken a back seat. I had to take the lid to a glass shop to have a 1/2” taken off one of the panels. Aqueon is sending me something for my trouble. So if you’re in the market for a similar setup I’d make sure everything fits before you leave the store. No need for surprise when you get home. 

Edited by Paul
  • Thanks 2

Semi-related to your post... As a newbie, I had no idea the Aqueon lid advertised 36" x12" was actually less than 11 and a half inches deep, by design. I picked one up at Pet Smart, thinking it would fit my 45 high, but it doesn't.

It came in a very generic white box, but it should have had the actual dimensions on it instead of saying it was 36" x 12".