Flowering Amazon Frogbit

13 minutes ago, kammaroon said:

Me too. I have a paint brush at the ready to help pollenate it.

IIRC the bad news is that Amazon frogbit is monoecious, meaning there are separate male and female flowers. But the good news is frogbit can 'self' meaning pollen from the male flowers can pollinate the female flowers on the same plant.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Brandy said:

@Daniel I have always wondered, can't pollen be saved? I mean, I seem to remember it is sometimes viable and stable for long periods if kept dry?

It depends, some pollen yes, some pollen no. I have exhausted my frogbit lore so my answer is, I don't know. But I would definitely try it to see what happens.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Amazon frogbit is monoecious

That's unfortunate. I've had the frogbit for just over 6 months now. It might take another 6 months to get another flower, and hope it's the opposite sex. I'll just enjoy this brief moment of excitement, if and when the flower opens.

1 minute ago, kammaroon said:

That's unfortunate. I've had the frogbit for just over 6 months now. It might take another 6 months to get another flower, and hope it's the opposite sex. I'll just enjoy this brief moment of excitement, if and when the flower opens.

There is always hope. Typically male flowers open first, then the female flowers. In this photo the males are the 2 taller flowers and the female is the lower down flower. Your might get something like this. Can't wait to find out.

image.png.19ff8b9573b5cf501c7bece9a2407eac.png

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Expectorating_Aubergine said:

Keep some outside, and you'll have all the flowers (and frogbit) you'll ever need! 

I plan to do that. I've just set up a tub outside for the first time. Looking forward to see how the aquarium plants and fishes do outside.