Bettas and fin rot

Colu

Just wondering What treatments have you tried and what and has and hasn't worked for you when treating fin rot in your betta and do you think Betta are more susceptible to fin rot than other types of  fish

I have a betta going through finrot right now. I have been using salt, I only found that using 1T salt per galllon ratio actually worked for me along with daily 50% waterchanges. I found that anything below that ratio didn't work for me. Some forum members were wondering if a dip in a H202 would fix it. 

In my opinion it depends where you get your betta from if they will be prone to finrot. Every time I get them from a petstore and they are kept in cups, they usually have a problem with there fins. Where as if you get them from a breeder or from a fish store that keeps them properly there not as prone to finrot.

Correct at @Colu In fact it almost killed my betta.

When freshwater fish are exposed to salt for longing period of time (7+ days) it can really do damage on their liver and other organs. So when the salt had no effect I continuesly dosed, until the 10 day mark where I was forced to stop because all he would do was lie on the ground, not eating, not swimming, etc. I then did 2 50 % water changes to get rid of all of the salt, waited a day and contunied with treatment with the ratio 1T salt per gallon.

Here is what one day of treatment looked like: (the top is the before, the bottom is the after)

image.png.bba95bb3e8fd9b319f038509e8602dac.png

• Like 1

Yeah my betta's fins never seem to be in great shape. He had a stressful first few months with a filtration system that was too jarring for him. Changed the filtration to just a sponge filter (mostly for the pygmy cories), did a full course of maracyn, his fins improved a little. Did weekly, 20% water changes for a few weeks, fins got worse. Did another full course of maracyn, improved a little, but he wasn't happy with all the foaming. But it was way worse when I held off on water changes for a couple weeks because the nitrates never got very high. So now I'm back to just small, regular water changes.

Always 1 step forward, 1 step back with this glum little guy.

PXL_20210309_153814566.jpg.116c4dfbb1752dbcc1706c241c3d1711.jpg

50 minutes ago, Colu said:

Do you think water changes or the maracyn or both had the greatest effect  on his recovery @Kirsten

Good question! I really couldn't tell, but I think both helped. I'm just going to keep with the good water changes and lack of stress for a few weeks and see if it gets bad again.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Colu said:

I read about using hydrogen peroxide to treat fin rot recommended  dose is 1ml of  3% hydrogen peroxide solution per gallon for 8hour@JamesB

I wonder if anyone tryed hydrogen peroxide to treat fin rot and did it work or have no effect