Those with multiple tanks -- your least favorite?

StephenP2003

Other than, say, your quarantine or hospital tank, which one of your tanks do you enjoy the least right now? Why is that? What do you plan to do about it, if anything, to make yourself like it again?

One of my 20G talls is housing a breeding pair of plecos, a 10-month-old lone survivor offspring, and a colony of tiger endlers and cherry shrimp. 741980537_PlecoTank10-23-2019.jpg.0e57466498e7f6ccf588053b25907242.jpg

When I first set it up, I was looking to get a breed-for-little-to-no-profit project going with the plecos. The plecos produced fry within a couple months, I just sort of let things be and kept the fry in the same tank to rasp on wood and algae, and between the larger plecos, the livebearers, and the shrimp, I'm suspecting they just weren't getting enough to eat. I pretty quickly lost all but the one still-alive offspring. For the next 10 months, I never again saw any fry, just ejected eggs every spawn. I sort of ignored the project and let things play out naturally. Changed the scape a little as some plants did poorly in the low light, and as of late it's a tiger endler breeding colony. Photo as of a month ago:

1530352634_PlecoTank7-15-2020.jpg.3af4cbfb3416524273555719f33d1398.jpg

I just recently noticed the plecos spawning again, and I had more time to devote to being more proactive. Dragged out that Marina/Fluval breeder box and stuck the cave (with dad) in there. Today I saw the wigglers in the cave! Now i'm prepared to give them unrestricted access to food. This has breathed a little life into this aquarium. But always wondering which tank is next.

• Like 1

I think my least favorite tank was my multifasciatus setup.

I love the fish, but due to poor planning, I hated working on the tank. It's the bottom of a stacked set up, and had a built in wet dry in the back.  Which is extremely difficult to get in and do maintenance. The inside is just as bad, the wet dry takes up much of the footprint and I added faux cliffs for cover. Reaching in or netting out fish was incredibly difficult. 

What I'm doing to remedy it, total take down. Rescaped a 40 breeder and rehoused all the multies in that one. Purchased a bunch of new glass tanks, including a couple 55's. So the plan now is to use the substrate and filter media to start a new 55 in place of the old one.

20200809_112345.jpg

20200809_112135.jpg

20200824_161557.jpg

• Like 1

Right now I am frustrated with the new nano tank I placed at work. I got it on clearance for $3, and I used only stuff I had on hand to decorate. I placed some cherry shriml in there and a juvenile mystery snail (I have oddles of them right now,) but I just hate the way it looks and I can never see the shrimp! I need to reduce the amount of hardscape (its only 2gal, for cryin' out loud.) I did have hornwort but it was not doing well with almost no light, which I expected. (Just wanted to see if it would help the cherries acclimate.) I'll mess with it a little more until I'm happy with it.

JPEG_20200804_130011_4537707455292833296.jpg

Edited by Kat_Rigel
Better picture
  • Confused 1

Right now the lower of my stacked pair of 29s is competing with my 65 for 'tank I like the least.

The lower 29 is currently home to some guppies and  'Jerkface' the three spot gourami who used to be housed (years ago) in the 65 with a group of 8 other three spot gourami. He systematically attacked and tied to kill all of the other gourami - he got about half of them before I removed him and threw him in the 29 where I expected he would go after the guppies and I could use him to cull them.

Nope. He doesn't eat guppy or guppy fry. Just hates other gourami. The remaining group of gourami aged out around two years ago, but Jerkface? I think he's carrying on just out of spite. So the 29 is just an Amazon sword, overgrown with jungle val and a bunch of guppies, and one grouchy grumpy old murderous gourami. I want to tear that tank down and redo it all so bad. But it is how it is until Jerkface ages out.

The 65 gallon is currently my handicap tank. Aside from my blind congo tetra (who schools with her own group just fine in another tank) the tank holds all of my various fish that I've acquired over the years that have.... issues. The dojo loaches with spina bifida. The dragon goby who was given to me with a broken jaw. The angelfish that have lost fights  and lost an eye or a ventral fin or had a chunk ripped out of their side. Fish that I've fixed up and are doing better but that I feel will probably never fit in in a more active, healthy community tank. I love these fish and I've learned a lot working with them, but in nature there's not a shadow of a doubt in my mind they would all be dead. Its not a bad tank, it houses my jungle of java fern, but it just.... could be more. But as I'm  not one to euthanize a fish if its still getting on just fine (and these fish are, regardless of their imperfections) they remain with me in the 65. 

6 hours ago, Kat_Rigel said:

Right now I am frustrated with the new nano tank I placed at work. I got it on clearance for $3, and I used only stuff I had on hand to decorate. I placed some cherry shriml in there and a juvenile mystery snail (I have oddles of them right now,) but I just hate the way it looks and I can never see the shrimp! I need to reduce the amount of hardscape (its only 2gal, for cryin' out loud.) I did have hornwort but it was not doing well with almost no light, which I expected. (Just wanted to see if it would help the cherries acclimate.) I'll mess with it a little more until I'm happy with it.

JPEG_20200804_130011_4537707455292833296.jpg

I must be scanning posts too quickly because at first glance...I thought this was a coffee maker.

• Haha 2

My 50 lowboy is my least favorite it has no fish and I'm just using it to get good growth on some plants I want to put in other tanks. I plan on taking it down after the plants grow in. I'll probably sell or trade the tank off Once I'm done with it I really like the footprint and the tank is awesome but I just don't have room for it in the pet room

When I was young, I had a couple of 55 gallon tanks. They were the biggest tanks carried by the LFS so I thought I was onto something awesome. But it turns out they are a really impractical tank size and I always regretted having them. Surface area to Volume ratio matters. Depth (front to back) matters. I love the footprint of a 40 gallon breeder or 65 gallon (same as 40 breeder, but taller).