Otocinclus eating black beard hair algae?

KyleKVK

I am dealing with an outbreak of black beard hair algae in my tank. This has been going on for a while, but has recently gotten worse due to me upgrading my aquarium light. Recently I noticed my Oto eating the algae though, which is strange because I didn’t think that they eat this type of algae.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to deal with this type of algae, please feel free to let me know. But, it’s not as bad as I thought if my Oto is willing to eat some of it. Maybe all I need to do is buy another

B981F48A-EF66-4BC2-9566-705E46E81D5D.jpeg

Edited by KyleKVK

That doesn't look like BBA, but maybe there are different incarnations of BBA -- I'm used to seeing BBA start as dense little tufts of fine dark hair. Kind of looks like a staghorn or even diatom algae (though it's a little furry).  But anyways, otos eat soft digestible vegetation as well as biofilm, which is probably among the hair algae. I've seen them eat BBA once I've killed it, though. 

Just now, StephenP2003 said:

That doesn't look like BBA, but maybe there are different incarnations of BBA -- I'm used to seeing BBA start as dense little tufts of fine dark hair. Kind of looks like a staghorn or even diatom algae (though it's a little furry).  But anyways, otos eat soft digestible vegetation as well as biofilm, which is probably among the hair algae. I've seen them eat BBA once I've killed it, though. 

My algae very well could be a different kind, I was assuming it was BBA!

You'll have to watch the video on tank balance that the COOP put out relatively recently. Most people find that reducing their light is the best solution. My light is off most of the day except for when I'm home after work to appreciate my tank. That barely keeps my brush algae in check. You could also try adding something that is fast growing like guppy grass to absorb excess nutrients that the algae feed on. If your oto is eating it then cut back on your feeding this will reduce nutrients and encourage your oto to eat more of the stuff. Just keep an eye out as the change in diet might have negative effects on him.

For tough algae you can use HP to kill it, Then the oto or shrimp will happily eat it.

I do not think this is BBA either. I had an outbreak and looked a lot different. If your oto is eating it, maybe grab a couple more. It will enjoy the company and the problem becomes a food source that will likely disappear.