Intake filter for AquaClear 30

Knew tooth is

I recently purchased an AquaClear 30. I viewed Cory's Blog that the filtration could be enhanced through insertion of additional filters into the reservoir, and recommended coarse filters. The Blog also mentioned placement of a filter on the end of the intake tube. Would this be a coarse, round filter? Any specific recommendations? And, presumably only the tip of of the intake tube is inserted into the filter, correct? Additionally, to prevent fry from being sucked in to the system, I read that a filter could be inserted into the intake tube. Did I understand this correctly? Are there additional options, such as a screen? In any case, should the inserted filter also be coarse, so as to not cause stress on the intake motor? 

Cory recommends an intake sponge OVER the intake tube, not something inside it. AC sells the right sponges for that - get the medium size for that size filter. I added the exact product to mine. Works like a charm to keep excess crud and plant parts/debris out of the filter, thus resulting in less filter media maintenance.

BTW, it's the "medium pre filter sponge" you can see lower down this page.

Sorry about the unclear picture, I just set up this aquarium yesterday and I'm having a bacteria bloom. Hopefully you can see the sponge on the intake for my aquaclear 20. It just slips over the bottom of the tube. I hope seeing an example helps with your new filter, the aquaclears are great filters. 

20210317_160116.jpg