Advice on probable DOA fish

LTO

I ordered some fish, won’t say where from but they got stuck in shipping. It will be now 8 days minimum in the shipping process in the box. 
12 catfish, 6 panda, 6 Pygmy. My question is what would be the best course of action with the survivors if there is any. 
I don’t have a established hospital tank unfortunately. I do have a extra sponge filter in my established tank though.

seller has already been in contact with me with refund for DOA fish so I’m fine on the seller front. Just needed advice on what todo to with the survivors.

thanks

edit : they are suppose to be delivered Monday the 8th. Also I’m pretty new to hospitalizing fish, so which meds should I treat. 

Edited by LTO

If there are survivors, and I'm guessing this will be determined by where you live....meaning if it's somewhere that has freezing temperatures or not.....this will have to be a judgement call on your part. Normally the first course of action with new fish is to float the bag in your tank to get it up to your tank's temperature, however I'm not so sure that's the best idea in this scenario....desperate times call for desperate action. If you live where it is freezing and some fish are still alive, then maybe you will have to float the bag a bit, however that poses it's own risks. Me personally, I would do a pour and drop....meaning just pour the bag into a net over a bucket or sink and then just drop the fish in the tank immediately. If there are dead ones, then scoop them out of the tank.

Here's my rationale: The fish have been in complete darkness for 8 days now, and 9 days if you get the fish tomorrow, which means they are very sensitive to light, as a human would be, going for 8 days in complete darkness. As soon as they see light they're going to get excited, swim more frantically and breathe faster which is going to consume what little oxygen is left in the bag...if any. And it will totally stress them out. So if you float the bag in the tank for 20 minutes or so, a lack of oxygen...or stress...could kill the ones still living.

The other issue is the PH of the water in the bag will have dropped dramatically just from the fish breathing in there for 8 or 9 days. Their respiration process produces CO2 exactly like ours does. The CO2 basically converts any waste in the water to ammonia, which we all know is deadly to fish, but here is the good news. With a lower PH, the ammonia is actually less toxic. However the second you open the bag that CO2 is going to gas off and the PH is going to spike and all that ammonia will become more toxic.

I say once you get the fish and if there are survivors, then very quickly cut the top off the bag, pour it into a net and throw the fish into the tank and hope for the best. The seller is already going to take care of the DOAs and I personally think this will be the best chance for the living to survive....if there are still survivors in the bag.

Keep us posted. I'm curious to hear how this turns out....and I wish you the best.

• Thanks 1

I'm in a similar situation. I've got eight mystery snails that were bagged and shipped on 2/28 and were supposed to be delivered on 3/02. Suffice to say Fed-Ex two day shipping wasn't two days and they're still out there (on 3/08) meandering around the country. I've set up a large breeder box for them should any be alive when/if Fed-Ex ever decides to deliver them. They'll be starving if alive and I can do some intensive feeding in the breeder box. I've got a batch of Repashy made up for them and added an algae covered anubias for them to munch on also. The breeder box will also be much shallower than the tank, so they won't have to climb high to get to air. I'll temperature acclimate them, but then plop and drop. Snails are messy to transport small distances. Their shipping water is typically a bit murky/muddy after a day or two of shipping. We're on day nine (I think) now, so their water will be a mess. Fed-Ex blames the delay on severe winter weather, but the coldest day at any of their stops had a high of 46 and at no stop was there any ice, snow, or other precipitation, so Fed-Ex is lying. These are biggish snails at one inch, so I'm not optimistic any will be alive, but if they are, I've got a snail ICU set up for them to make life as easy for them as possible once they finally get here. Assuming they ever get here. Breeder boxes are handy gadgets to have for such situations.

One final note, take photos and video as you're opening the box. Note the delivery time and the time you're opening the box. Screenshot the delivery notice from whichever shipper is delivering the fish to you. You can prove you did nothing wrong that way. Also read up on the acclimation instruction by the provider. They may be counter to what you think is right, but if you don't do it their way, they can reject your claims if they're really tacky. Also don't assume the fish are dead until proven dead. Some fish can revive from a seemingly dead state when placed in good water. Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ugh! Fed-Ex now claims they tried to deliver my package this morning but I wasn't here to receive it. Uh, no. I've been within  ten feet of my front door since about six this morning. I was literally six feet away from it at 7:45 AM when they say they tried to deliver it. This isn't even a package I have to sign for, so I'm not sure what kind of weird game they're playing. As a rule Fed-Ex just throws (literally) a package on my front porch and scurries off. They never check to see if I'm here or not. Their own "detailed tracking" still shows it to be in their sorting facility. I'm fed up with Fed-Ex. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gardenman said:

Ugh! Fed-Ex now claims they tried to deliver my package this morning but I wasn't here to receive it. Uh, no. I've been within  ten feet of my front door since about six this morning. I was literally six feet away from it at 7:45 AM when they say they tried to deliver it. This isn't even a package I have to sign for, so I'm not sure what kind of weird game they're playing. As a rule Fed-Ex just throws (literally) a package on my front porch and scurries off. They never check to see if I'm here or not. Their own "detailed tracking" still shows it to be in their sorting facility. I'm fed up with Fed-Ex. 

Have you tried calling the local hub directly?  They will be able to contact the driver while he’s still on his route... if it really IS out for delivery, you certainly don’t want it going back to the hub. 

It wasn’t time sensitive, but I had an expensive (over $400 worth of stuff) package delivered while someone would have been home, but no one ever saw it. After talking to some very helpful people at the local hub level, they google mapped my house and talked to the driver in person.  It was determined that the driver had dropped it at the garage next door - thinking it was ours (and yes, we requested them to use the garage door.)  We asked/looked around but it was never found. The shipper filed a claim with FedEx and resent my package right away. 

7 minutes ago, LaurieinIA said:

Have you tried calling the local hub directly?  They will be able to contact the driver while he’s still on his route... if it really IS out for delivery, you certainly don’t want it going back to the hub. 

It wasn’t time sensitive, but I had an expensive (over $400 worth of stuff) package delivered while someone would have been home, but no one ever saw it. After talking to some very helpful people at the local hub level, they google mapped my house and talked to the driver in person.  It was determined that the driver had dropped it at the garage next door - thinking it was ours (and yes, we requested them to use the garage door.)  We asked/looked around but it was never found. The shipper filed a claim with FedEx and resent my package right away. 

According to Fed-Ex's "detailed tracking" they tried to deliver it at 7:45 am, then checked it into their New Castle, Delaware facility at 7:54 am. Now, the New Castle facility is 15.1 miles from my house. There are seven to eight traffic lights and a bridge toll between me and there. They seem to want me to believe they went 15.1 miles in nine minutes. That's an average speed of 106.7 mph. With traffic lights, and a bridge toll. And they were able to get it there, unload it, and scan it in their system. All in nine minutes. I've been discussing this with "Marvin" on their Twitter help page and he's promising to look into the matter. What happened is that they flat-out lied and got caught. They've been lying the whole time. They never tried to deliver it today.

18 minutes ago, gardenman said:

According to Fed-Ex's "detailed tracking" they tried to deliver it at 7:45 am, then checked it into their New Castle, Delaware facility at 7:54 am. Now, the New Castle facility is 15.1 miles from my house. There are seven to eight traffic lights and a bridge toll between me and there. They seem to want me to believe they went 15.1 miles in nine minutes. That's an average speed of 106.7 mph. With traffic lights, and a bridge toll. And they were able to get it there, unload it, and scan it in their system. All in nine minutes. I've been discussing this with "Marvin" on their Twitter help page and he's promising to look into the matter. What happened is that they flat-out lied and got caught. They've been lying the whole time. They never tried to deliver it today.

We had a similar experience with something much less time sensitive, but much bulkier. Ordered a mattress in a box which was shipped in a 5ft long, 200 pound box and FedEx lost it for almost two weeks. We went back and forth with the vendor and FedEx the entire time, since their system no longer had tracking data after the first few days. Nothing like having a CS rep ask you to check all around your house for a missed package even after you explain that the thing would be impossible to miss. When it did finally arrive, it had clearly seen better days. Fortunately, it had been well packed and arrived undamaged.

Hearing these experiences with "two day shipping" of live animals has made me extra nervous to try buying online.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, gardenman said:

Wow!  I like to drive fast... maybe I should work for FedEx instead of the insurance industry🙃 hopefully Marvin can get to the bottom of it for you ASAP!

1 minute ago, Schwack said:

We had a similar experience with something much less time sensitive, but much bulkier. Ordered a mattress in a box which was shipped in a 5ft long, 200 pound box and FedEx lost it for almost two weeks. We went back and forth with the vendor and FedEx the entire time, since their system no longer had tracking data after the first few days. Nothing like having a CS rep ask you to check all around your house for a missed package even after you explain that the thing would be impossible to miss. When it did finally arrive, it had clearly seen better days. Fortunately, it had been well packed and arrived undamaged.

Hearing these experiences with "two day shipping" of live animals has made me extra nervous to try buying online.

Stuff I've bought through UPS or the USPS comes fine. It's just Fed-Ex that is horrible here. They now say they'll definitely be here tomorrow, Tomorrow will be the ninth day they've been in Fed-Ex's hands. My supplier sent out shipments last Monday and Tuesday. All of his Monday shipments met the same fate as mine and are stuck in Fed-Ex purgatory, but his Tuesday shipments all arrived on Thursday as they should have. Fed-Ex is just pathetic.

I have regular UPS guy and he has always been helpful to extent of giving me his personal cell number, which I have only had to use a couple times over the years.

Once when I was at the UPS HUB at 7:00 am trying to get some blackworms out of jail, he saw me talking the supervisor and he interceded and got my worms for me.

That sort of service goes a long way in building loyalty.

1 minute ago, LaurieinIA said:

Wow!  I like to drive fast... maybe I should work for FedEx instead of the insurance industry🙃 hopefully Marvin can get to the bottom of it for you ASAP!

When I saw those times posted I knew they were flat-out lying. I know how far away their New Castle facility is as I've been there before to pick up a package. On a good day when I catch every light right and there's no traffic I can make it in maybe twenty minutes.  There's no way to do it in nine. Marvin now says there was no delivery attempt today due to a backlog and can't explain why I got the notice that they tried to deliver but failed because I wasn't home. Bear in mind, there's no signature required on this order so my presence shouldn't have mattered anyway. They've just been lying to me from day one. They blamed the initial slowdowns on "severe winter weather." There's just one problem with that excuse. I checked the weather at every location the snails have gone and the coolest daytime high was 46 degrees. At no stop was there any precipitation of any kind. The weather in every location has been better than normal, but sure, it was the weather's fault. Maybe their drivers like the spring air and warmer temps so much they forgot to do their jobs. Today they tried to blame me for not being here. Uh no. Fed-Ex just annoys me to no end. Now I get to wait one more day to see if my snails are dead or alive.

• Sad 1

My package still shows delivery date by today but the tracking shows “In Transit, Arriving Late 
Your package will arrive later than expected, but is still on its way. It is currently in transit to the next facility. 

I think there goes all possibilities of survivors 😭

• Sad 1

I've sometimes seen FedEx or UPS packaged marked as "delivered" first thing in the morning and not ACTUALLY get dropped off til the afternoon. Like the driver's saying, yeah, okay, I'll deliver all of these sometime today, I just don't want to have to scan them when I take them out of the truck.

I agree that you should try contacting your local FedEx hub and see if they can get you some info. You should also take a look at neighbors houses just in case they got the address wrong.

My snails came today and all were dead and had been dead for several days. (You can imagine the smell.) Fed-Ex took nine days to deliver a two-day package. I'm not a happy customer of Fed-Ex. The seller did a great job. A nicely insulated box, two heat packs, lots of insulation, the snails were double bagged, they had a good sized chunk of poly filter material in with them. I couldn't ask for a better job by the seller. He just couldn't overcome Fed-Ex's incompetence. Fed-Ex blames it on "severe winter weather." Yeah, I checked the weather at each stop along the way. The coldest daytime high at any stop was 46 degrees. On every other day the temp was in the fifties and sixties with one day in Memphis hitting seventy. There was no precipitation or high winds at any stop. Weather shouldn't have slowed things down at all. The weather at each place the package landed was fine. Fed-Ex is just incompetent. Yesterday they tried to shift the blame to me by claiming they'd tried to deliver but I wasn't here. Uh, no. Their own "detailed tracking" proves that's a lie unless they somehow managed to drive 15.1 miles, through seven or eight stop lights and a bridge toll in nine minutes. That would require an average speed of 100.65 miles per hour. They lie, they don't care that they're lying and they invent nonsensical reasons why they're incompetent. No more Fed-Ex for me. I'll pay double to buy things that come though other shippers just to avoid Fed-Ex.