Congo Tetras or Angels? Which to choose?

Theresa_M

Hello, I have a new 29g tank in the process of cycling. I will likely be placing an order with Aquahuna in the next couple of weeks. Because the tank is so tall, I was thinking about doing two angels - the Avatar blues. However, my LFS has Congo tetras on display forever but none for sale, and I think they are beautiful. Do you think I could do 8 of those in a 29g? It’s not as long as I would like, but I’m hoping they wouldn’t be too cramped. Anyone have these? The other worry I have is placing an online order, there’s not guarantee I’ll get a mix of male and female and I so want at least a couple of males! Tank mates will be 2 dwarf patties, corydoras and cardinals. 

I would agree and yet disagree with @Colu. I would agree with him in the part where congo tetras are bit to big for a 29 gallon. But disagree with the part of 2 angels ina  29 gallon. I would say one angel in a 29 gallon and every angel after that is a additional 5 gallons (2 angels in a 35 gallon, 3 angels in a 40 gallon, etc)

• Like 2

Having had angels in the past, I agree with @JamesB.

I'm in the process of stocking a 29g myself, and I'm planning to keep all inhabitants under the 2" mark. I've had 3-4" fish in there in the past, and they just seemed cramped to me as they moved around. Don't plan to get any fish that big again until I can get a bigger tank down the road.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, JamesB said:

If your looking for a feature fish I would go with something like German Blue Rams or Bolivian Rams, just make sure if you do want the german blue rams that you keep them hot (80F at least).

I thought about German Blues but read they were a little finicky. They’re on my list though! 

• Like 1

Just ran across a video AC did with Dean about angelfish. I thought of this thread. Dean notes that you can have angelfish in a 29g. Note what he says about water change frequency. Dean is a font of information, so this is a good video.

15 minutes ago, Dawn T said:

Just ran across a video AC did with Dean about angelfish. I thought of this thread. Dean notes that you can have angelfish in a 29g. Note what he says about water change frequency. Dean is a font of information, so this is a good video.

Thanks Dawn! I also watched this and it had my wheels spinning 🙂

4 minutes ago, Theresa_M said:

Not only did he suggest two, he actually said he’d do four adults in a 29.

As much as I respect Dean, I would have to respectfully disagree.

I have had three angels in a 30, and one of the angel was bullied to death by the other two angels. I think Dean may be talking about a little more short term then long term, as he might be talking a little more about getting the angels to pair off.

In my experiance if you put 4 angels in a 29, there WILL be some fighting, there probably WILL be some death because of the fighting.

• Like 1